We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, coffee, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting-edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. As a Tissue Engineer working on Fiber Development, you will be developing a heterotrophic plant cell culture process and engineering growth environments to develop, improve, and optimize lab-grown cotton production. Cotton growth and maturation involve several distinct stages of cell wall development, each of which needs to be managed and improved in our culture process. The successful candidate will assist in executing existing assays and contribute to the development of scalable methods for lab-grown fiber development. In addition, the candidate will be able to identify areas of optimization in the existing R&D pipeline. The candidate’s ability to learn quickly, thrive in the lab environment, and optimize workflows are important to support and help GALY fulfill its mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Here’s what You’ll Do:
- Design scalable processes for growing tissues using plant cells and biomaterials that can be easily scaled and manufactured at large scale
- Evaluate new methods, technologies, and computational techniques to independently advance the tissue engineering aspects of GALY’s projects while simultaneously optimizing for scalability and reduction of the cost of goods
- Collaborate on projects targeted at monitoring the trajectory of inputs such as new plant cell lines, media formulations, and biomaterials on the generation of cellulose-enriched fiber tissue
- Partner with the scale-up team to integrate all elements of the process from Seed Train to final product release for technology transfer to manufacturing
- Deliver regular progress reports internally; present findings to GALY teams
- Maintain laboratory notebook, follow SOPs, and adhere to GLP standards
- Work alongside passionate researchers who want to change the world!
Education & Qualifications:
- Ph.D. degree in Biological Engineering, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Biomechanical Engineering, Biotechnology, Biology, or a related discipline with 2+ years of relevant experience, or MS degree with 5+ years of relevant experience
- Expertise in tissue engineering, bioreactor design, and performing assays to characterize cell / biomaterial interactions
- Experience in developing scalable R&D projects in mammalian or other cell culture systems
- Knowledge of cell adhesion, cell encapsulation, and cell analysis principles and techniques
- Superior organizational skills with attention to detail, the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and accurately, and ability to adjust rapidly to shifting priorities and variable workloads
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- The ideal candidate for this role is no stranger to thinking "outside the box," whether they are conducting an experiment in the lab or developing a new process
- Experience working with both plant and animal cells
- Knowledge of decellularization strategies and applicability
- Sunderland, MA, USA.
Galy will soon be moving to Boston.
What We Offer:
- Fast-paced environment with rapid growth opportunities
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options
- Life and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Relocation assistance for non-local talent
- Paid vacation and holidays
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.