We are out of time. Change must be immediate. We have to help the world find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. Using less land, less water, less energy, and making less waste. If you think that sounds like a mission, well, you are right. We are solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY is an early-stage company developing novel in vitro plant cell culture methods to produce cotton, coffee, and other plant products in a process that is faster and uses fewer resources than if grown in the ground. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
Education & Experience:
- B.Sc. in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering, plus 0-2 years experience
- Hands-on experience in design as well as fabrication of mechanical/electrical actuators, sensors or similar devices
- Experience with CAD/AutoCAD/SolidWorks or similar design platform
- Industrial project experience highly desirable
- Matlab/Python coding experience
- Experience/course work in robotic/mechanical actuators and sensors
- Experience / course work in robotic systems design and control
- Experience / course work in computer / AI vision
- Working knowledge of Portuguese
Work Environment/ Physical Demands:
This entry-level position will work with other engineers and scientists at Galy using automation and robotics to increase the throughput of our current methods for screening large number of diverse sample of plant cells. Plant materials have a wide range of physical handling characteristics, and mechanical methods for moving and manipulating individual samples of these materials. This position will be part of the team at Galy that is solving this problem, and will allow Galy to screen unprecedented amounts of plant materials for desired characteristics. Automated, massively parallel manipulation of individual samples, and sensing or determining specific physical attributes is the overall goal.
The working environment will be in a laboratory, and pilot plant area, and will require the ability to stand for longer periods of time, and to lift 25 lbs occasionally. The position requires the ability to work with manual and small power tools and computers, and will handle small amounts of plant materials. It is anticipated that this position will work with some outside contractors, for example, machining or 3D-printing of some components.
An ability to learn quickly, thrive in the lab environment, and optimize workflows are important to support and help Galy fulfill its mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities & Know-How:
- This position will report to senior design engineer(s)
- Assist with acquiring commercial robot/automation
- Modification of existing commercial robots
- Deliver regular progress reports internally;
- Use bioinformatics and computational tools to quantify cell traits and perform statistical analysis;
- Possess a strong sense of ambition and initiative. Capable of learning new techniques quickly and working independently;
- Be a great team player with strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- We are temporally located in Sunderland, MA, but soon we are relocating to Boston, MA.
What We Offer:
- Fast-paced environment with rapid growth opportunities;
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options;
- Life and disability insurance;
- 401(k) with company match;
- Paid vacation and holidays.
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are the artists of a new era. We envision a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical burden we place on the planet and its people, especially those without opportunity. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today by building a much more sustainable and distributable form of agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing novel scale-up strategies for in-vitro production of cotton that have never been done on an industrial scale, we will achieve something truly new. To do this, we are gathering a team with highly diverse skills and experiences, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, sterile process development, bioreactor design, mathematics, statistics agriculture, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, fashion designers, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group on a mission to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are GALY.