We are out of time. The change must be immediate, ASAP. We have to help the planet find alternative ways to produce all the same things we love. But better. And with no waste. If you think that sounded like a mission, well, you are right. We’re solving the world’s most important problems with talented individuals who share our passion to change the world. GALY's environment is built so everyone, regardless of gender, race, religion, age, or background, can do their best work.
Education & Experience:
- BS. in Plant Biology, Biotechnology, Engineering or other STEM-related fields with 0-4 years of experience in plant biotechnology, process engineering, molecular biology, plant development, biochemistry, physiology, or related field;
- Experience with designing and executing experiments, optimizing protocols, and analyzing data from assays for animal/plant cell research;
- Expert in G Suite/MS Office.
Work Environment/ Physical Demands:
Come and join our rapidly growing team, work with smart and dedicated people and help develop cutting-edge technologies that will have a lasting impact on the world. As a Jr. Scientist working in Cell Physiology and Fiber Development, you will be developing a heterotrophic plant cell culture process to deliver healthy, clean plant cells from culture to contribute to the development of Incredible Cotton. Cotton growth and maturation require several distinct developmental stages of cell wall development, each of which needs to be managed and improved in our culture process. The successful candidate will assist in executing existing assays and contribute to the development of novel assays. The candidate will be able to identify areas of optimization in the existing R&D pipeline. His/her ability to learn quickly, thrive in the lab environment, and optimize workflows are important to support and help GALY fulfill its mission. Salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities & Know-How:
- Utilize literature to prioritize gene, hormone, and environmental condition targets for plant cell culture trait manipulation;
- Conduct common tissue and cell culture lab assays as well as tissue fixation and staining, confocal microscopy, and image analysis;
- Deliver regular progress reports internally;
- Use bioinformatics and computational tools to quantify cell traits and perform statistical analysis;
- Possess a strong sense of ambition and initiative. Capable of learning new techniques quickly and working independently;
- Be a great team player with strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Amherst, USA – U.S. Work Visa Required.
What We Offer:
- Fast-paced environment with rapidly growth opportunities;
- Excellent full-time benefits including comprehensive medical coverage, dental, and vision options;
- Life and disability insurance;
- 401(k) with company match;
- Paid vacation and holidays.
GALY is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected status by applicable law.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the functions, responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position, and GALY retains the discretion to modify functions, responsibilities, duties and skills at any time, including modifying the time devoted to such activities, deleting activities and assigning other activities.
Who we are:
GALY is growing the future. We are an army of dreamers that believe scientists are artists of a new era. We are envisioning a world where we can still produce sought-after materials without the physical turmoil we place on disadvantaged people and the planet. That is why we are revolutionizing the way we produce goods today and therefore sparking a much more sustainable form of doing agriculture. However, nobody takes innovation seriously until you scale it. We are on it! By developing intelligent scale-up strategies with cotton cells, as the in-vitro cotton production market has never been done on an industrial scale, we are capable of doing something truly new. With this mind, we gather a team of highly diverse subjects, ranging from genetic engineering, plant cell culture, bioreactor development, mathematics, statistics, designers, high-performance automation, stylists, illustrators, creative business development, marketing and branding strategies. A group with a strong sense of purpose on a mission to find ways to save our planet. We are scientists. We are artists. We are creatives.