Galvanize Climate Solutions - Background
Galvanize Climate Solutions (“Galvanize”) is a recently formed alternative asset manager and SEC-registered investment advisory firm, founded in 2021 with a mission to provide the capital, expertise, and partnerships necessary to produce and scale vital and urgent climate solutions. Galvanize combines investment, technical, policy, talent, and communications expertise under one roof. We are organized to create investment strategies across seed, venture, and expansion, to support companies vital to decarbonizing our society.
The firm’s founders, Kathryn (Katie) Hall and Tom Steyer, have extensive experience in global investments, finance, philanthropy, and politics. Katie Hall is the Founder and Co-Chair of Hall Capital Partners (“HCP”), an independent, SEC-registered investment advisory firm. Founded in 1994, HCP manages over $40bn in investment assets for foundations, endowments, and large pools of family capital. Tom Steyer founded and ran Farallon Capital Management, a multi-strategy global investment business based in San Francisco, from 1986 until 2012. During that period, it grew assets from $6mm to $36bn. Over the same time, Tom was also a partner and Investment Committee member at Hellman & Friedman, a multi-billion dollar private equity firm.
Galvanize Real Estate - Background
Galvanize Real Estate (“GRE”) is a real estate investment platform dedicated to incorporating a comprehensive sustainability framework into the full investment process, from market and asset selection to business plan execution. Nothing about the framework and process will be concessionary. We believe that the focus on sustainability, when combined with disciplined fundamental investment practices, has the ability to contribute to produce compelling risk adjusted returns. GRE believes that many geographies and property types have access to untapped technological innovations that can make operational ESG initiatives, like green power generation, water reuse and reduction, profitable. We also believe that a sustainable relationship with the community in which the real estate resides can enhance a property's brand through a thoughtful offering of services and amenities, creating an improved sense of place and increased desirability.
This is an outstanding opportunity for a real estate investment professional who is aligned with Galvanize’s mission and is excited to build a differentiated platform with a triple bottom line. Galvanize is a startup and so most roles - including this one - will evolve over time. Initially, the candidate needs to be willing to do whatever is necessary to advance the interests of GRE and its investors. Many of those responsibilities will fall outside the typical scope of work associated with asset management and may include significant contributions to investor related work and literature.
Analyst or Associate (title DOE)
New York, NY
Vice President of Acquisitions
GRE investment professionals, including acquisitions team, asset managers, ESG / sustainability team, and portfolio managers as well as Galvanize Impact team
Main Focus and Initial Priorities
GRE is looking to hire an Analyst or Associate on the Asset Management team. The employee will help build-out the financial model for Asset Management, provide inputs to the Acquisitions team as they underwrite new transactions, as well as work with senior leaders to build processes and shape the investment thesis for sustainable investing in the US commercial real estate market. They will participate in running due diligence and managing third parties as part of a deal execution process. Once acquisitions are made, the employee will work with the property management firm and various vendors to complete the business plan for the investment, which will include a robust sustainability framework. The successful execution of the sustainability related capital projects and services will be critical to the success of the investment and whether the platform achieves its desired ESG metrics. The asset management team will largely be responsible for this. There will be regular business plan reviews and portfolio reviews that the Asset Management team will be responsible for presenting and/or participating in alongside the Portfolio Management team. The Asset Management team will also manage dispositions of assets.
The candidate will assist in the completion of marking materials, investor presentations, and literature.
The candidate must have a commitment to intellectual curiosity and honesty, soliciting opinions from diverse perspectives, a fact-based decision-making process, and a collaborative-consensus driven culture. GRE strives to support and elevate our colleagues through our daily practice of Galvanize's cultural values such as radical collaboration and respect for all.
- Own and manage the business plans, budgets, forecasts, leases, analysis, and approvals
- Collaborate with third-party property managers, lease administrators, leasing agents, legal counsel, auditors, and accountants
- Works to implement the business plan, including capital improvements and services to the asset
- Develop and distribute periodic asset management reports to investors, consultants, and other partners
- Develop dynamic financial models for a wide variety of performance and investment analyses
- Track lender mandated reporting and covenants such as debt service ratio coverages
- Assist the team in the annual budget process and any quarterly forecasts required
- Analyze weekly and monthly operating reports from property managers and cascade to senior leaders as necessary to identify trends and potentially adjust business plan accordingly
- Assist the Acquisitions team to develop asset business plans and underwritings and help perform market and asset due diligence
- Ensure adherence to policies and procedures to maintain effective internal controls and compliance
- Assist in operational takeovers and property manager transition
- Build and refine financial models used for evaluating current and projected performance of GRE investments
- Monitoring and tracking transaction data, capital markets and other relevant industry research
- Participating in the research, analysis, and execution of strategic initiatives
- Identify desirable target markets for each property type and risk profile, ranging from core to core-plus to value-add and development
- Initial target property types include multifamily, industrial, student, and self-storage
- Digest market intelligence and cascade to the broader group with the goal of constantly challenging and refining the investment thesis
- Build relationships with counter-parties at operating partners, owners, leasing agents and other market participants in the target markets
- Collaborate with other members of the team, including the ESG team, to achieve overall objectives, including the successful implementation of the sustainability framework across the portfolio and achieving ESG metrics
- At least one year of commercial real estate experience in an investment, valuation and/or asset management capacity across multiple sectors
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Sophisticated financial skills and capital markets perspective
- Knowledgeable in finance with a deep understand of real estate budgets
- Meticulous attention to detail – output is consistently accurate, thorough, and completed within deadlines
- Accountability for their work and receptive to constructive feedback
- Ability to build relationships around the firm
- Must possess a high standard of professionalism and integrity
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet tight timelines
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Belief in Galvanize’s purpose of accelerating climate solutions through profitable investment strategies
- Exceptional intellectual curiosity and honesty
- Proactive self-starter with a track record of going above and beyond what is asked
- Up-to-date with regard to COVID vaccines
- Authorized to work in the US without eventually needing employer sponsorship
- Proficiency with Argus is a plus, but not required
- Ability to work closely and communicate effectively with senior management
- Thrive in organizations that constantly evolve and adapt
- Estimated base salary range, depending on title and experience in the role: $100,000 - $150,000 per annum
- Role is also eligible for an annual discretionary bonus
What We Offer
- Generous benefits package, including employer-paid health coverage options,
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- 25 days of PTO including vacation, personal time, and sick leave
- Monthly wellness benefit that covers a broad range of activities
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Up to four months of paid parental leave
- A collaborative and inclusive culture that is committed to recruiting, retaining, engaging, and developing a pool of talent that is diverse across all dimensions
More About Galvanize
As a newly launched investment platform, we are committed to recruiting, engaging, and retaining talent that is diverse across all dimensions. We will apply our team’s different experiences, backgrounds, and viewpoints to drive better decision making in advance of scaling vital and urgent climate solutions. Galvanize is an equal opportunity employer.
Galvanize will help lead the effort to close the climate investment gap by spearheading the use of Movement Capitalism – an economic philosophy that employs the foundations of capitalism – innovation, entrepreneurship, competition – in support of a higher public purpose.