Gainful is hiring a Lead Designer!
Gainful is changing the way people shop for nutrition products to support their active lifestyle and help them achieve their fitness goals. Launched in 2017, Gainful is backed by some of the world’s best venture investors (including Y Combinator, Dorm Room Fund and BrandProject). Gainful combines personalization with the highest quality ingredients to make sports nutrition accessible for every body. Our first product is a personalized protein powder.
Gainful is positioned to become the category leader in personalized nutrition, with personalized protein powder the first of many products. We are excited to bring on only the most incredible team members to join us on this journey.
We are looking for a multi-talented designer to join as Gainful’s first full-time designer! The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a portfolio that spans digital UI/UX (web and mobile), typography, graphic design, photography, videography, animation, print media, social media, packaging design, and copywriting. In short, nothing visual will leave our office without first crossing your desk. (We know you may have different strengths in each of these, and UI/UX is definitely the most important). We want someone we can trust to push the creative vision for the brand forward and will have the autonomy to do so!
As Lead Designer, you will be responsible for high-level brand decisions and art direction, as well as getting your hands dirty at the pixel level every day. You will work closely with our CEO, CTO, Brand Director, Director of Operations, and Head of Growth to produce assets across all our channels. Your creative will help realize cross-functional strategies and meet business objectives, the position is highly collaborative, and requires strong people-skills. Your entire body of work will be everything that consumers see across every channel, including digital product, emails, digital and physical ads, social media, packaging, and print.
Finally, you will also play a role in sourcing, evaluating, and managing any creative partners (photographers, videographers, stylists, agencies, freelancers etc). You will also be expected to build and lead a multi-disciplinary team at scale. Eventually, we will have multiple full-time roles available for each of the functions that you will initially own (i.e. UI/UX designer, social media manager, copywriter).
Gainful recently raised a round of funding, and we’ve set aggressive goals for 2020.
* In partnership with growth, tech and brand, Understanding the needs of our Gainful Customers and planning and running user tests and other design research to inform design choices.
* Combine UX thinking with design execution, to produce usable, intuitive, and beautiful user interfaces
* Help build out design processes, tools, and culture
* Ads: Format creative for Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, SMS, affiliate banners, and Google Display ads
* Web: Produce full-fidelity desktop and mobile web designs for our development team to implement
* Print: Design direct mail pieces, inserts, stickers, marketing collateral, and postcards
* Email: Develop, design, and maintain brand standards for visual communication
* Social Media: Develop content for our social channels; concept, shoot, develop, and edit all your own projects. Once a good foundation is established, spearhead the hiring of Gainful’s first Social Media Manager.
* Physical Product: Create mockups as well as final dielines for new product packaging
* Photography: Coordinate and direct studio/outdoor photo shoots for image assets, image editing, video editing.
* Content: Work with Brand Director and our Head of Growth to develop and execute an SEO-friendly visual aesthetic for all content marketing
* Ad hoc: Presentation design and company swag
* 4+ years experience in product design ideally at a tech-enabled consumer brand (DTC preferred)
* BFA or BA in graphic design, advertising, fine arts, or relevant field.
* High level of proficiency in contemporary design tools including Adobe CC, Illustrator, InDesign, Sketch, Figma, Klayvio, Invision, Framer JS, Flinto etc
* Ability to concept and execute a broad range of visual assets from start to finish.
* Familiarity with photography/video, art direction, photo editing.
* Proficiency in Lightroom, Premiere Pro, After Effects.
* Deep understanding of consumer branding with an ability to naturally adopt our brand's tone of voice & visual identity.
* Experience with user research such as surveys, interviews, and usability testing
* Background in designing for mobile-first platforms — understanding best practices, design patterns, technical limitations
* Front-end development, illustration, videography, animation, branding, prop styling.
* Interest or experience in nutrition, wellness, fitness, or food/bev.
* Experience at a high-growth startup, especially direct-to-consumer subscription.
* Location: Manhattan, New York. Remote for the time being due to COVID-19.
* Hours: Full-time, unlimited PTO
* Pay: competitive salary + equity
* Health Insurance: Choice between Blue Shield Gold Full PPO 750 or Blue Shield Platinum Full PPO 0. Gainful will cover 99% of the monthly cost of the Gold plan, or 85% of Platinum. If you opt out of group healthcare coverage, Gainful will add $250/month to your
salary as a wellness stipend
* Dental: Guardian EM Dental 10
* Vision: CA Beam VSP Choice Plan 2
* Pre-tax benefits
○ Health FSA
○ Dependent Care FSA
○ Lunch every other Friday
○ Free beverages of every kind
○ Unlimited Gainful product & swag
● Visa sponsorship: Available
● Start Date: ASAP