Full Cycle Bioplastics is on a mission to create a cleaner, more sustainable future. At the moment, we are small but mighty. Our tech helps solve the plastic pollution crisis by transforming waste into compostable materials. We’re scaling our solution to significantly decrease plastic waste and greenhouse gas emissions. We've experienced massive growth over the last year, tripling in size, with more on the way!
Partnering daily with the CTO, you will lead the strategy and operations for the Research & Development department, which focuses on further innovating and perfecting our science. In this role, you will weave together the strategies for multiple research projects and keep all the teams within the R&D department aligned. Additionally, you will partner with heads of other business units to ensure that the prioritization and resources of the R&D group are aligned to deliver on the commercial goals of the enterprise.
The ideal candidate brings both a deep technical background and the ability to lead an organization. We need someone who can create clear, strategic long-term plans for the R&D department, then identify, onboard, and manage the people and assets who execute those plans. You will be responsible for ensuring that detailed project plans are in place with milestones identified and risks identified and managed.
If you are ready to step into a role that will be integral to the success of the technology team, bringing solutions to fruition in an organized and structured way, we would love to speak with you.
On any given day you could:
- Partner with the executive team, finance, growth, and other departments to create a cohesive long-term strategy for the R&D department
- Lead (hire, develop, inspire, manage) a group of highly effective engineers, chemists, fermentation scientists, chemical engineers and research associates
- Lead multidisciplinary R&D teams from concept to market in new materials and processes
- Oversee the success of innovative research projects across fermentation, chemistry, analytics, devices, and product development
- Provide sound advice and guidance around scientific leadership, ensuring collaborative decision-making by the whole team that is rooted in data
- Guide development and documentation of research plan protocols, standard operating procedures, specifications, and test procedures
- Develop and maintain quality systems to ensure reliable results
- Define the requirements of robust lab-scale data to facilitate successful scale-up and large-scale process design
- Ensure safe and environmentally sustainable operations as a highest priority
- Effectively communicate fermentation and process chemistry capabilities, contributions and gaps to internal stakeholders and external contractors, partners and investors
- Develop department budgets, including planning for capital expenses; manage costs to budget on an ongoing basis
- Identify and build productive relationships with strategic external partners
We'd love to see your background include:
- Masters or Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering or Chemistry and 15 or more years of industrial experience. A compelling record of success and growth should include at least 10 years of management experience including Director level
- Ability to attract, assess, hire, develop and manage engineers, scientists and technicians and influence, motivate, and drive technical rigor
- Demonstrated alignment with our mission and commitment to pioneering a circular economy
- Direct experience in new product development from concept to regulatory approval through launch is preferred
- Experience in biofuels, waste-to-value, new materials, biopolymers and or fermentation
- A minimum of 4 years research experience in developing and utilizing polymeric materials, biomaterials or other complex materials toward product/application development and their manufacture.
- Strong cross-functional collaborator with excellent knowledge of fermentation operations and chemistry.
- Skilled in design of experiments and advanced data analysis providing experimental direction for supporting research strain selection and screening functions
- Basic understanding of molecular biology
- Experience building and deploying innovation in a process development setting is desirable
We offer our employees a range of benefits including participation in our stock option program, volunteer time off, unlimited PTO, commuter benefits and 100% cost coverage for an employees medical, dental, and vision insurance. We are also committed to finding a supporting the best candidates out there and can offer to pursue sponsorship for someone who would require it.
Full Cycle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.