Full Cycle Bioplastics is on a mission to create a cleaner, more sustainable future. At the moment, we are small but mighty. Our tech helps solve the plastic pollution crisis by transforming waste into compostable materials. We’re scaling our solution to significantly decrease plastic waste and greenhouse gas emissions.
We are seeking candidates for the critical role of Polymer Scientist to support our rapid growth. Our team comes first, so we’re looking for candidates who share our values of teamwork, humility and empathy, clear communication, respect, urgency without frenzy, and personal accountability.
As the Polymer Scientist you will be responsible for formulation, compounding and characterization of polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA) for Full Cycle. Collaborating with the R&D team and Business Development teams, you will conduct research and development of PHA products for our customers. You will work closely with external collaborators to develop PHA products. Serving as a subject matter expert, you will also have the opportunity to help train staff on polymer processing equipment.
We highly value experience in the following areas: polymer science or engineering, specifically with plastics or biopolymers, packaging engineering, and formulation
Your day to day would include:
- Planning and executing experiments around formulating PHA polymers at analytical scale
- Execute proper chemical and/or polymer processing and testing procedures, such as ingredients, mixing times, and operating temperatures
- Prepare samples, solutions, compounds, and reagents used in laboratory procedures
- Perform instrumental analyses of materials and process samples
- Conduct tests on materials and other substances to ensure that safety and quality standards are met
- Complete documentation and reporting for all experiments performed and samples prepared including timely entries in notebooks and laboratory databases as needed
- Present and document technical findings to R&D and business development teams
- Perform instrument and equipment calibration, maintenance and interact with manufacturer’s service technicians to solve operational or other instrument problems
- Assist with training junior staff on proper use of equipment
- Maintain inventory of polymer and lab supplies and organization of the polymer lab
- Execute support activities including, but not limited to, inventory maintenance, troubleshooting, preparing sample products to customers
What you bring to the role:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in material science or engineering
- 2 plus years of experience working in a polymer lab
- Strong practical knowledge of DSC, tensile testers, rheometers/flow testers, polymer compounding equipment, GPC, FTIR
- Strong understanding of polymer science and how polymer chemistry affects material properties
- Ability to communicate effectively with cross functional teams
- Curiosity and passion for creating sustainable products
- Preference for experience with: bringing products to market, ability to teach, scaling up polymer formulations, working with processes such as extrusion, injection molding, blown film, and 3D printing.
We offer our employees a range of benefits including participation in our stock option program, volunteer time off, a flexible vacation policy, and 100% cost coverage for an employees medical, dental, and vision insurance. We are also committed to finding a supporting the best candidates out there and can offer to pursue sponsorship for someone who would require it.
Full Cycle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.