Friendsurance has with international acknowledgement pioneered and inspired global trends in Insurtech since 2010. As the inventor of peer-to-peer insurance, Friendsurance developed the claims-free bonus. With the new brand Friendsurance Business, we are pioneering another mission: the digitisation of insurance services for banks or insurance companies and their customers. Through partnerships with leading banks and insurance companies like Deutsche Bank, we make a smart home for insurance available directly in these partners' digital solutions. Through our sophisticated, scalable and modular insurance platform we aim to make insurance more customer friendly.
We are over 100 team members from more than 20 nations working from our headquarters in Berlin and from other external bases. We take pride in our agile culture. We have been part of Berlin's top employer and office ratings for several years.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager (m/f/d) to join our growing technology team.
In this position you will lead two to three cross functional product teams and report directly to our CTO/CDO. This is a full-time position of significant responsibility where you will provide technical direction, coaching and ongoing leadership for your teams on site in Berlin and remotely.
Your Tasks & Responsibilities
- You are an active part of the Technology Leadership team setting the technical direction, encouraging the team to innovate and invent
- You lead several Team Leads as your direct reporting line towards success of their agile squads
- You work together with our Product Management Team translating product and business vision into technical language
- You remove obstacles, connect people, align with stakeholders, lead your team by example and measure the health of your teams
- You are the focal point of contact for some of our external partners and providers - e.g. Penetration testing providers, AWS, Banks, Insurance Companies
- You assure the best engineering quality, design principles and best practices are followed and considered - e.g. Clean Code, SOLID
- You build and grow your engineering teams by driving the entire hiring process, coaching and mentoring
- You are a key member of our technical guilds, including architecture guild, which is the place where professional assessments and approvals of new architectures are made
- You have been leading a cross functional team as Engineering manager at least for 3 years
- You are an experienced software engineer for 5+ years developing high performance, stable, and scalable software
- You can lead development from initial concept through production and understand technological concepts, as well as be hands on on some topics when needed
- Your engineering experience is based specially on backend and infrastructure technologies - Java and AWS
- You love to work with people as well as technology and know that mentoring, motivating and inspiring people creates an engaged, fun, and productive team
- You truly believe in and are a master of agile methodologies
- You recognize and promote the importance of having a good monitoring and alerting system
- You highly value quality of software and believe on test automation
- You have a strong capability and knowledge of designing, discussing and reviewing multiple types of architectures - e.g. microservices, serverless, event-driven
- You like to share knowledge with others
- You know how to assess and implement security measurements in the systems
- Experience on frontend technologies is a plus
- You are familiar and have experience with majority of our technological stack
Our Technologies, Tools, and Processes
- Back End: Java, Spring, Hibernate, PostgreSQL
- Front End: TypeScript, ReactJS, Redux, SASS
- Testing: Selenium, Serenity, JUnit, Mockito, Jest, Mocha
- Build and Deploy: Jenkins, Git, npm, Maven
- Infrastructure: AWS, Terraform, CloudFormation, EKS, MSK, Istio
- Agile Methodologies: Scrum, Kanban
- Work with a team of Pioneers that is not afraid of change and constantly pushes the boundaries of digitization in the insurance industry - but also knows how to have fun!
- Experience full flexibility by working when it suits you (flexible working hours) and where it suits you (work from anywhere)
- Never stop growing thanks to your personal development budget, continuous feedback and yearly career development talks
- Enjoy countless more benefits like free German classes, free sports classes, a whole bunch of team events and many more
- We provide visa & relocation support
- Join us and find out for yourself why we are rated 4.3/5 on Kununu and 4.6/5 on Glassdoor
We are looking forward to your application!