Victoria, BC or Remote!
We’d love to have you join us at our HQ office in beautiful Victoria, BC (once it’s safe to do so!) and would be delighted to provide relocation assistance. However, we are completely remote friendly - you can work from anywhere in Canada that suits you best. We only ask that you work in the Pacific time zone (PST.)
We are growing quickly and are looking for a talented Principle Engineer to add to our development team at our Head Office in Victoria. The primary responsibility of the Principle Engineer is to work alongside our development teams and to participate in project work at anywhere from 70-85% capacity. The remaining tasks within this role include providing mentorship to individual team members and across the Web department as a whole, in addition to assisting with project planning and business development ventures (such as RFPs) as a Technical Consultant/Architect.
As a Principle Engineer, you’re as comfortable with the latest programming technologies as you are providing technical guidance and career support to fellow team members. You know how to estimate work units, how to set up technical architecture on client projects and how to manage the Agile development process. You are a stickler for unit tests, a champion for collaboration and are passionate about initiating process and efficiency where needed within the Web team.
- Understanding technical architecture and writing software and automated tests, aligned with agreed-upon standards;
- Providing technical guidance, mentorship, support, and oversight for other developers;
- Participating in the developing community, staying up to date on new software technologies and best practices, and sharing insights with others in the organization;
- Adhering to Agile methodologies for the Software Development Lifecycle, and acting as a Scrum Master when applicable;
- Demonstrating attention to detail, working well in a team environment, and willing to learn new skills;
- Advising viable solutions to processes, technology, and interfaces that improve the effectiveness of the team and reduce technical debt;
- Analyzing user stories and software requirement documents to provide recommendations in terms of technology stack and cost/time estimates;
- Working as a Full Stack Developer on project work at about 70-85% capacity.
Need to Haves:
- 7+ years of overall web development experience;
- Experience setting up database architecture/models/schemas and experience with SQL and NOSQL databases like MongoDB; ability to develop RESTful APIs;
- A proven track record for coaching, mentoring and developing high-quality developers.
- A can-do attitude
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Legal working status in Canada, please note that we do not have the resources to sponsor work permits.
- Contributing writing and/or technical knowledge to RFPs;
- Defining the architecture for projects of different scopes;
- Participating in interviews and hiring panels;
- Identifying process improvements and leading initiatives across multiple teams;
- Experience acting as a Scrum Master and/or CSM training;
- Experience interacting with clients and gathering requirements.
Click here to learn more about our benefits and culture.
*Thank you for your interest in joining our team. We hope to set you up for success during our hiring process starting with this tip:
The following application questions are thoroughly reviewed and heavily weighted when deciding whether your profile is a good fit for this role; please give them the time and attention that they deserve in order to demonstrate your alignment toward and interest in this role.