Victoria, BC or remote!
We’d love to have you join us at our HQ office in beautiful Victoria, BC (once it’s safe to do so!) and would be delighted to provide relocation assistance. However, we are completely remote friendly - you can work from anywhere in Canada that suits you best. We only ask that you work in the Pacific time zone (PST.)
In 2020 we were ranked as Canada’s 15th fastest growing company and are looking for a BOLD UI/UX Designer to join our growing team. Maybe a SemiBold one actually. Could you try just medium? Actually, let’s keep testing things out and we’ll know what we’re looking for when we find it.
As a UX/UI Designer, you are responsible for creating interactive wireframes and hi-fidelity mockups guided by different forms of requirements documentation. Sometimes you will be helping to create those requirements after conducting and compiling UX research. Doing this research is second nature as you have an intuitive grasp of how to best understand user behaviour -- either that or the ability to read minds. Either one will do. You also know how to distill client ideas into a comprehensive look and feel, and are able to take constructive criticism on your designs and ideas and then provide it to other team members during design critiques or sprint reviews. are able to collaborate and communicate with a broad spectrum of people whether that is through presenting your design work, in team meetings, on client calls, or in your writing.
Generating design assets for our development teams is a large part of the role. You need to have a grasp on the difference between platform design principles, as well as working with multiple file types. You possess the ability to communicate your design process, since the FreshWorks team and clientele is diverse, and have no problem switching from expert to ELI5 depending on the situation. You will often (though not always) be working with multiple clients at the same time and will need to change context throughout the week, and sometimes throughout the day. You will need to discern for yourself what the next step is to make sure your projects are successful - you may know from experience and/or know how to ask the right questions to the right people. You will typically have the freedom as well as the responsibility to determine what the best use of your time is to ensure project timelines and budgets are met.
- Design wireframes, mockups, screens, and workflows for user stories and technical development;
- Evaluate UI challenges and present ideas focused on interaction design and usability;
- Maintain and use UI design systems for our web and mobile apps;
- Collaborate with other designers, developers, and clients;
- Work closely with engineers to push the limits of existing web technology and UX;
- Present design ideas to developers, clients, stakeholders, and peers for review, working within an iterative design process;
- Evaluate modern design tools and best practices to continuously evolve and improve the design process for yourself and other team members;
- Regular contribution of design-based memes to our #random Slack channel;
- Keep up to date with developments in Android, iOS, and web design best practices.
Need to haves
- A completed or in progress BS/MS in Design or a related discipline;
- Diploma certificates are also okay, as are relevant years of on the job experience
- Solid understanding of design principles and best practices in UX/UI;
- Proficiency in software relevant to app design - Sketch, Invision Studio, Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator;
- Ability to both give thoughtful criticism and receive critique;
- Strong problem solving skills, and a self starter attitude;
- Impressive active listening skills to help you discern unspoken requirements;
- Pinpoint accuracy and attention to detail - even through Zoom you can tell us EXACTLY where that piece of spinach is in our teeth. In pixel count;
- Legal working status in Canada, please note that we do not have resources to sponsor work permits.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with graphic design and branding;
- Experience creating motion graphics or animations;
- Experience with 3D modelling software is an asset;
- Experience working in a service-based environment;
- A collection of hilarious but thought-provoking stories about your previous experience working with clients in application design.
Please submit a link to your design portfolio**
*Thank you for your interest in joining our team. We hope to set you up for success during our hiring process starting with this tip:
The following application questions are thoroughly reviewed and heavily weighted when deciding whether your profile is a good fit for this role; please give them the time and attention that they deserve in order to demonstrate your alignment toward and interest in this role.