FreshBooks is a leading cloud-based SaaS accounting software designed with one goal: to help small business owners grow. We reached unicorn status after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion and continue to scale our business to serve business owners, their clients, and accountants in more than 160 countries worldwide. FreshBookers are found all over the globe, and we know that different folks thrive in different working environments: Remote, onsite, and everything in between, you’ll find it with us.
The Opportunity - Senior Engineering Manager
As a Senior Engineering Manager at FreshBooks you'll be responsible for managing the development of our Core Accounting Engineering teams and help accelerate their execution. As a leader and a guide, you’ll accelerate the execution and delivery of world-wide accounting capabilities of our platform. Your extraordinary technology skills will help you guide your teams through complex and ambiguous environments towards simple and elegant implementations.
You're already a skilled Leader for a group of Developers, able to recruit new talent and champion development teams and their Leaders. Your technical experience with large-scale web technologies allows you to lead by example. Strong communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence across an organization. In all areas you're able to anticipate and plan for the future.
What you'll do:
- Own and drive the execution of and be accountable for the technical vision of a crucial product area for FreshBooks, our Core Accounting solutions, by leading a group of developers and by working with other product development disciplines
- Expertly lead by example and manage a group of developers and technical leads
- Set, maintain and raise the level of technical excellence across your group and the entire development organization
- Work closely with the Product Development leadership, including VPs and Directors of Engineering and Product areas, to build a world-class engineering organization
- Attract and recruit talent across the organization to help execute the FreshBooks mission
- Anticipate and prepare for the future - technology, people, culture and process
What you have:
- Proven engineering management experience, either with an organization of 10 or more developers or over a period of at least 8+ years
- Technical expertise in one or more relevant areas, particularly the design, implementation and maintenance of web services
- A history of establishing teams by developing and recruiting exceptional talent
- The ability to influence an organization through exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- A demonstrated ability to anticipate the future, navigate ambiguity, develop plans and successfully execute over multiple quarters
- A love of learning, a constant drive for self-improvement and a desire to help everyone be better
What you may have:
- Experience building Accounting solutions
- Experience working with Scrum or Agile teams
- Knowledge of some or all of: Ember or a similar technology, Flask or a similar technology, Java, Swift, Objective-C, RabbitMQ, Celery, Puppet, Ansible, Docker, Cloud Platforms like GCP (or AWS), similar development technologies
Our Commitments to You
At FreshBooks each person knows their opinion is valued, and can see their impact on the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. Accelerate your career, work on projects you're passionate about, and work as a part of a collaborative team without ego! Here are some of the ways FreshBooks recognises and rewards our employees:
- 🩺 Comprehensive Health and Wellness Benefits. Including retirement savings programs matched to your local office, stock options for every full time employee, generous time off, parental leave and new parent support, annual healthy living credit, comprehensive medical and dental benefits dependent on your region, and more.
- 📚 Perks that Matter. Including a Peer Recognition Program, an Employee Assistance Program, headphone credit, meaningful in-person gatherings to bring onsite and remote employees together, and more perks matched to your locale.
- 🌱Working Environments to Help You Thrive. Beautiful office spaces welcome you in Canada and Mexico, and remote FreshBookers receive a home office credit to set up your home office.
- 🤗 Supportive Peer Group, Mentors, and Leaders. We care about each other across the organisation and have programs to support this so everyone feels a strong sense of belonging, and believes in collective impact.
- 🚀 Accelerated growth. 3 week dedicated company onboarding, career development through continuous coaching, training, and learning on the job, and a bi-annual review process.
Even if your experience doesn't meet every bullet on the above lists, we'd love to learn more about you and why you think FreshBooks is the next step in your career.
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.