It turns out… unicorns are real! In fact, FreshBooks just became one after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion. And ever since launching in 2003, we’ve been on a steady incline towards one goal: Building easy-to-use accounting software for small business owners. It’s the goal that’s driven us to expand into five offices, serving customers in over 160 countries. And it’s the goal we’d love for you to be a part of as a member of our global team as we continue our journey.
FreshBooks is seeking a Staff Data Engineer to join our team. As part of the Data and Analytics Team, you will help us shape and build the future of our Data Engineering infrastructure and processes. If you’re committed to great work and are constantly looking for ways to improve the systems you’re responsible for, we’d love to chat with you!
What you'll do:
- Assume a technical leadership role on our Data Engineering team to help us architect and build environments, data pipelines and processes.
- Learn in-depth details of our current technology, and map out long term improvements.
- Be a coach for Data Engineers and an advocate for clean code, good testing practices, and high quality design choices.
- Participate in peer-reviews of solution designs and related code.
- Help us solve our most difficult Data & Analytics challenges, collaborating with our Data Products, Data Science and Data Analytics teams.
- Collaborate with senior technical leaders from across the organization to help us with our big picture, enterprise technology choices.
- Adhere to high-quality development principles while delivering solutions on-time and on-budget.
What you bring:
- Enthusiasm for data engineering!
- 10+ years experience creating and maintaining data pipelines and environments.
- Expertise with Google Cloud, or another major cloud provider like AWS or Azure.
- Expertise with BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift, or similar cloud data warehouse technologies, including the ability to make good data modeling choices.
- Experience working with unstructured and semi-structured data.
- Expertise with Airflow (Workflow Management Platform).
- Expertise with data integration technologies including ETL platforms (e.g. Fivetran, Stitch) and REST APIs.
- Foundational knowledge of networking (protocols, VPNs, VPCs), security (ZTNA, DMZ), access management (IAM, Access control)
- Strong programming skills in SQL and Python, or a similar language.
- Experience with streaming technology (e.g. Google Pub/Sub, AWS Kinesis, Dataflow, Apache Beam, Spark, etc.)
- Expertise with Docker, Jenkins, Kubernetes, Terraform, and/or other DevOps and IaC technologies.
- Expertise with Git workflows, continuous integration and automated build pipelines.
- Experience architecting major data solutions from end-to-end including source data pipelines, transformations/modeling/quality, and consumption for reports, advanced analytics and omnichannel campaigns.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
What you might bring:
- A track record of staying at the forefront of data engineering technology.
- Experience with monitoring, incident management and alert management tools (e.g. Datadog, PagerDuty)
- Subject matter data expertise in the SaaS industry.
- A limitless imagination for where data could go and what we can do with it to make our customers and our people awesome!
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
Here at FreshBooks, we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Should you require any accommodations during the recruitment process, please advise your recruiter on how we can meet your needs to ensure a fair and equitable selection process in a confidential manner.