FreshBooks is a leading cloud-based SaaS accounting software designed with one goal: to help small business owners grow. We reached unicorn status after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion and continue to scale our business to serve business owners, their clients, and accountants in more than 160 countries worldwide. FreshBookers are found all over the globe, and we know that different folks thrive in different working environments: Remote, onsite, and everything in between, you’ll find it with us.
The Opportunity - Senior Software Engineer (Backend)
You will be joining our Platform (API) team. An incredible team with an awesome leader.
You will play a vital role in building software that impacts the lives of millions of small business owners worldwide, using tech you'll love.
You will also help shape the Engineering culture at FreshBooks as you mentor folks earlier in their Engineering careers, and learn from all those around you in turn.
Whether you're based in Halifax, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg (or most other locations in Canada), read on to learn more about how you can become a part of the intrinsically motivated teams of engineers!
What You'll Do as a Senior Software Engineer
- Build real world applications that have a meaningful impact on customers
- Design and develop application technologies that optimise solution operation and minimize maintenance overhead
- Contribute to a large codebase that contains a multitude of customer features
- Ensure quality through automated and exploratory testing
- Able to make an effective technical or business case for code changes
- Be a proactive communicator who enjoys working closely with creative and technical peers
- Work in a dynamic Agile-based environment
What You'll Bring to the Role
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in web application development (Agile or Lean environment)
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
- Familiarity with continuous integration or better, continuous delivery (CI/CD) and automated build pipelines
- Comfort with unfamiliar problems and the ability to extract lessons and learn from mistakes
- Curiosity about and ability to anticipate the impact of emerging technologies and make adjustments
- The ability to balance the desire to ship code quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
You'll Stand Out If You Bring Experience In
- Experience with our core tech stack:
- Python (our core back-end technologies)
- Databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Writing and working with REST APIs -- and by “REST,” we really do mean actual resource-oriented REST, and not RPC using HTTP mechanisms
- Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
Our Commitments to You
At FreshBooks each person knows their opinion is valued, and can see their impact on the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. Accelerate your career, work on projects you're passionate about, and work as a part of a collaborative team without ego! Here are some of the ways FreshBooks recognises and rewards our employees:
- 🩺 Comprehensive Health and Wellness Benefits. Including retirement savings programs matched to your local office, stock options for every full time employee, generous time off, parental leave and new parent support, annual healthy living credit, comprehensive medical and dental benefits dependent on your region, and more.
- 📚 Perks that Matter. Including a Peer Recognition Program, an Employee Assistance Program, headphone credit, meaningful in-person gatherings to bring onsite and remote employees together, and more perks matched to your locale.
- 🌱Working Environments to Help You Thrive. Beautiful office spaces welcome you in Canada and Mexico, and remote FreshBookers receive a home office credit to set up your home office.
- 🤗 Supportive Peer Group, Mentors, and Leaders. We care about each other across the organisation and have programs to support this so everyone feels a strong sense of belonging, and believes in collective impact.
- 🚀 Accelerated growth. 3 week dedicated company onboarding, career development through continuous coaching, training, and learning on the job, and a bi-annual review process.
Even if your experience doesn't meet every bullet on the above lists, we'd love to learn more about you and why you think FreshBooks is the next step in your career.
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.