It turns out … unicorns are real! FreshBooks reached unicorn status after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion, and we couldn’t be more thrilled. But why are we so excited? Because every success at FreshBooks allows us to build better, stronger accounting software and products, worthy of the trust of small Business Owners everywhere. We’ve expanded beyond our Canadian roots, and now have entities across seven countries and counting, serving Business Owners in more than 160 countries around the world. What’s more, FreshBooks knows that great people live all over the globe (not just where we have offices), and that different folks thrive in different working environments. Remote, onsite, and everything in between, you’ll find it here.
The Opportunity - Senior Software Engineer
FreshBooks is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who will play a hands-on role in driving our mission to build a world-class technology company with a global footprint. You'll play a vital role building software that impacts the lives of millions of small business owners around the world, using tech you'll love. You'll also help shape the Engineering culture at FreshBooks as you mentor folks earlier in their Engineering careers, and learn from all those around you in turn. We are looking for people who thrive in a remote-friendly, collaborative, and agile development environment.
Whether you're based in Halifax, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg (or most other locations in Canada!), read on to learn more about how you can become a part of the intrinsically motivated teams of engineers!
What you'll do in your first twelve months at FreshBooks:
- Build real world applications that have a meaningful impact on Business Owners
- Make sound decisions even in the absence of complete information, and recognize when to over engineer and when not to
- Design and develop application technologies that optimize solution operation and minimize maintenance overhead
- Collaborate with full-stack and mobile developers on cross-functional Agile teams working on features for our customers
- Work closely with UX designers and Product owners to ensure the best web experience for our customers
- Contribute to a large codebase that contains a multitude of customer features
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions
- Ensure quality through automated and exploratory testing
- Ship your code with our continuous integration process
- Develop your craft and build your expertise in web full stack development
- Mentor others, versus just answering questions - Pairing and mentoring others is an integral part of this level
- Able to make an effective technical or business case for code changes
- Motivates team members towards high quality work
- Demonstrate passion about building high quality software that addresses customer needs
- Be a proactive communicator who enjoys working closely with creative and technical peers
- Work in a dynamic Agile based environment
What you'll bring to this role and your new team:
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in web application development (Agile or Lean environment)
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and of applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
- Experience with our core tech stack:
- Python (our core back-end technologies)
- Databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Writing and working with REST APIs -- and by “REST,” we really do mean actual resource-oriented REST, and not RPC using HTTP mechanisms
- Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
- Familiarity with continuous integration or better, continuous delivery (CI/CD) and automated build pipelines
- A can-do attitude and eagerness to step up to handle tough issues
- The ability to learn quickly and experiment to find new solutions
- Comfort with unfamiliar problems and the ability to extract lessons and learn from mistakes
- Curiosity about and ability to anticipate the impact of emerging technologies and make adjustments
- The ability to balance desire to ship code quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eye’s laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one.
Sound like the next step in your career? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.