FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
Opportunity to lead innovative technology initiatives on the infrastructure side. It is a high influence, high impact IC role with technical leadership or more if you choose
What you have:
- 10+ years of experience in supporting and and managing production service environments
- 6+ years of experience with Google Cloud Platform, or another major cloud service provider
- 3+ years of experience with Kubernetes
- A solid understanding of best practices around containerized applications and runtimes
- Demonstrated experience coaching and mentoring technical teams, and growing the overall technical maturity of our Engineering organization
- Experience doing the hard bits of Platform Engineering -- providing a flexible and intuitive interface for developers, while ensuring the platform remains responsive and reliable for everyone
- Experience providing solutions that focus on the entirety of the SDLC, from local development environments through to production observability and diagnostics
- Familiarity with continuous integration, continuous delivery, and automated build pipelines
- The ability to balance desire to deliver features and improvements quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and of applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with our product teams and other senior technical leaders to co-create and deliver on our technical strategy via inclusive and supportive approaches
- Learn in-depth details of the current infrastructure and supporting services, and map long term improvements
- Provide coaching and guidance for engineers as an advocate for reliable, observable, and adaptable infrastructure using stewardship and best practices
- Solve broad, platform-wide problems that have Engineering- and Product-wide impact
- Support operational excellence and make measurable improvements to our support processes
- Develop your craft, improving your expertise and knowledge to raise the level of the teams around you
- Evolve our technical architecture to scale with our rapidly growing customer community
What you might bring:
We're looking for a variety of talented technical leadership and know that a mix of skills and experience is useful. Even having only a couple of the skills from the list below would be a strong asset.
- A background in DevOps and service ownership, and a clear understanding of bounded contexts and how they map onto microservices
- Experience working with non-Kubernetes container orchestration and tooling
- Experience with databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Experience working with Infrastructure as Code – Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.
- An understanding of the SDLC, and related best practices
- Experience with Redis, ElasticSearch, or RabbitMQ
- An understanding of content delivery networks and networking in general – routing, caching, latency, etc.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
Here at FreshBooks, we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Should you require any accommodations during the recruitment process, please advise your recruiter on how we can meet your needs to ensure a fair and equitable selection process in a confidential manner.