FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity- Software Engineering Lead
As a Software Engineering Lead at FreshBooks you'll manage a development team and help accelerate their execution, while also playing a hands-on role building code and systems to drive our world-class global mission. As a guide in the development and delivery of online service software and customer growth initiatives, your extraordinary technology skills will help you manage and mentor your team through complex and ambiguous environments towards simple and elegant implementations.
Your technical experience with large-scale web technologies allows you to lead by example. Strong communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence across an organization. In all areas, you're able to anticipate and plan for the future.
What you'll do:
- Build real world applications that have a meaningful impact on customers
- Own and drive the execution of and be accountable for the technical vision of a crucial area for FreshBooks by leading a group of developers and by working with other product development disciplines
- Expertly lead by example and manage a group of developers
- Make sound decisions even in the absence of complete information, and recognize when to over engineer and when not to
- Design and develop application technologies that optimize solution operation and minimize maintenance overhead
- Work closely with UX designers and Product owners to ensure the best web experience for our customers
- Contribute to a large codebase that contains a multitude of customer features
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions
- Ensure quality through automated and exploratory testing
- Ship your code with our continuous integration process
- Develop your craft and build your expertise in web full stack development
- Attract and recruit talent across the organization to help execute the FreshBooks mission
- Anticipate and prepare for the future - technology, people, culture and process
What you have:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in web application development (Agile or Lean environment)
- Experience managing and / or mentoring engineers or other technical disciplines
- A love of learning, a constant drive for self-improvement and a desire to help everyone be better
- Step up to handle tough issues and display a can-do attitude
- Learn quickly and experiment to find new solutions
- Take on unfamiliar problems and extract lessons and learn from mistakes
- Anticipate the impact of emerging technologies and make adjustments
- Familiarity with continuous integration (or better, continuous delivery) and automated build pipelines
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.