Developer Experience Manager
FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing global team of over 500 employees working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
FreshBooks is looking for a business leader to help reshape the world to meet the needs of small business owners and their teams. Our ideal candidate understands what comprises a world-class 3rd party developer experience and how to bring together technology and business sense to accomplish it.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Business Development, you have a nice balance of technical knowledge as well as experience building and growing a developer community. You’ve led teams but are also comfortable leading activities yourself in order to get things done. The ideal candidate will help elevate our customers’ businesses, expand our addressable market, and grow FreshBooks in a THINK BIG way. If you're passionate about tackling big challenges head on, delivering amazing experiences, and ready to back it up with results for our business — come join us now!
What you will do:
- Define the focused customer problems that our API and the developer community will solve for our customers; these 3rd party solutions will have the potential to 10x the number of customers we can acquire together.
- Contribute to setting a multi-year vision for how we accomplish 10x’ing the number of developer partners on the platform, and develop a clear roadmap for how we get from here to there fast
- Collaborate with cross-functional leaders and their teams to ensure you understand our opportunities, goals and how we use a developer ecosystem platform to better achieve them (or set even better goals!)
- Lead and develop API Evangelist talent to reach their full potential through mentoring, coaching and continuous feedback
- Deliver results and report impact of developer outreach to partners and Executives.
- Advocate for our customers and developers and provide internal thought leadership around the products that are truly meaningful to them, and how we make FreshBooks a platform that developers and partners love to build upon.
What you have:
- Post secondary education (relevant University diploma program)
- 5+ years relevant work experience and successful track record of growing and enabling a developer community to solve focused customer problems
- Experience engaging a large developer community to create highly-used/loved extensions of a software product
- Effective people leadership skills and culture champion, builds high performing teams
- Excellent communication skills with ability to distill complex concepts into simple, easy-to-understand terms
- Strong business acumen
- Highly results-oriented
- Demonstrated stakeholder manager with a collaborative approach to influencing
- Strong understanding of software development, and more specifically, the software development needs of partners and the development community — you don’t need to write production-ready code in this role, but you can ask questions to understand how our technology decisions impact your team and API users
- You understand app store merchandising and how to present the value proposition to other SaaS companies and 3rd party developers to encourage them to write applications to be promoted through that app store.
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving ability to assess issues and inform decision-making.
- Strong negotiation skills and experience working with partners
- Excellent understanding of the technology landscape, best practices, and trends
- Nice to have experiences include:
- small business ownership and/or managing products designed for them
- developer work extending others’ applications by way of API / extensions
What we can promise you
We follow user-centered design in everything we do, and you’ll be spending your first 3 weeks on our support team, just understanding our customers.
- An incredible growth opportunity; this is an opportunity to help us scale the impact of insight across our organization.
- A great work experience. Competitive benefits and employee perks, plenty of fun and work, s and team members who take pride in their work without ego, all in one of the most unique work cultures out there.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all of our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.