FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for an extraordinary product and customer service experience, FreshBooks is based in Toronto, Canada, with offices in the U.S., Netherlands, and Croatia and serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - IT Specialist
The FreshBooks IT Team is responsible for the availability, integrity, confidentiality, and performance of the internal systems used by FreshBookers to provide outstanding support to our amazing customers, support the development and delivery of our leading SaaS accounting application, and enable the company to scale and grow. These systems include; collaboration and communication (voice, video, chat), email, identity and access management, networking, desktop, and mobile devices, as well as many SaaS services that cross a broad spectrum of uses.
As an IT Specialist, you will collaborate with your teammates and our company at large to improve our office network, servers, teleconferencing, phone, email, desktop systems, and more. Balancing the focus between day-to-day support and strategic process and technology improvements.
You are someone who has:
- A passion for customer service and the ability to empathize with and communicate clearly to all parts of the business.
- A deep curiosity that motivates you to keep on top of technology trends and informs your ability to suggest tools and approaches to interesting problems.
- The ability to juggle multiple tasks and priorities from supporting the business to implementing the next new infrastructure
- Done this before – you’ve had at least 2-3 years of operational IT experience preferably in a Mac environment
In this position you will:
- Triage IT support tickets, questions, and walk-up requests, resolving most and escalating the rest to other team members
- Set up laptops, user accounts, email, and phones for new hires
- Manage user access across multiple systems
- Assist users with common desktop programs, including Google Workspace, Microsoft Office, Slack, and Zoom
- Diagnose and repair software and hardware problems on office desktops and laptops running macOS and Windows.
- Effectively communicate with internal customers and relay various methods to them to avoid future occurrences
- Configure office network devices and troubleshoot wired and wireless network problems
- Assist with IT projects including new product testing and automation initiatives
- Maintain and improve documentation on our internal IT process wiki
- Participate in an on-call rotation providing after-hours support
- Assist with other IT tasks and strategic projects as needed
We think you'll be an amazing fit for this position if your application can demonstrate:
- A knack for finding the perfect answer to a problem you've never seen before
- Experience with IT ticketing systems (eg. Jira, ServiceNow, ZenDesk, etc)
- A strong understanding of system interdependence
- Excellent documentation skills
- Familiarity with some of the technologies we use:
- Operating systems (macOS, Windows, Linux/*nix)
- Identity & Access Management (Okta, Active Directory)
- Collaboration & Communication (VoIP, Zoom, Avaya IP Office)
- Cloud Infrastructure (VMware, Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services)
- Productivity & Workflow (Google Workspace, Microsoft 365, Confluence, Jira)
- Device Management (Mosyle, Intune)
- Code & Version Management (Git)
- Application Servers (nginx, Apache, MySQL)
- Networking & Security (TCP/IP, DNS, SSL/TLS, SSL/TLS, Public Key Infrastructure, Anti-malware, WiFi, Cisco)
- Command-line languages ((ba)sh, Powershell, etc.)
- Experience working in a SaaS company
The real reason people are proud to work at FreshBooks is that each person knows their opinion is respected, and they can see the difference they make in the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. If you want to accelerate your career, work on projects you're passionate about, and have just as much of a life outside the office as inside—you're exactly what we're looking for.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.