FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity: Senior Software Engineer
FreshBooks is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Accounting Engineering team. You will play a hands-on role in driving our mission to build a world-class technology company with a global footprint. You will be instrumental in providing accounting solutions that impact the lives of millions of small business owners around the world and directly impact customer experiences and businesses. We are looking for people who thrive in a creative, collaborative and agile development environment.
If this appeals to you, please come and chat with us to learn more about how you can become a part of the intrinsically motivated teams of engineers!
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with full-stack and mobile engineers on cross-functional Agile teams working on Accounting features.
- Collaborate closely with our Accounting counterparts in Amsterdam and Croatia.
- Work closely with UX designers and Product owners to ensure the best web experience.
- Contribute to a large codebase that contains a multitude of customer features.
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions.
- Ensure quality through automated and exploratory testing.
- Ship your code with our continuous integration process.
- Build accounting services that have a meaningful impact on customers around the world
- Work closely with UX designers and Product owners to ensure the best and most reliable Accounting experience for our customers
- Design and develop application technologies that optimize solution operation and minimize maintenance overhead
- Collaborate with full-stack developers on cross-functional Agile teams working on features for our customers
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions
- Ensure quality through automated testing
- Ship your code with our CI/CD process
- Develop your craft and build your expertise in web full-stack development
- Participate in code review sessions.
- Demonstrate a passion for building high-quality software that addresses customer needs
What you bring:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in web application development (Agile or Lean environment)
- Experience in Python (our core back-end technologies)
- Experience writing and working with REST APIs -- and by “REST,” we really do mean actual resource-oriented REST, and not RPC using HTTP mechanisms
- Learn quickly and experiment to find new solutions
- Experience with databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Familiarity with continuous integration (or better, continuous delivery) and automated build pipelines
- Willingness to learn and understand the ins and outs of Accounting principles.
What you might have:
- Experience in the Accounting field and/or a good understanding of Accounting principles, Accounting reports, bank transactions and more.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
- An understanding of test-driven (and behavioural test driven) development, and of building substantially complete test code, and not just for the happy path
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.