Staff Enterprise Architect
FreshBooks Has a Big Vision
It turns out… unicorns are real! In fact, FreshBooks just became one after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion. And ever since launching in 2003, we’ve been on a steady incline towards one goal: Building easy-to-use accounting software for small business owners. It’s the goal that’s driven us to expand into five offices, serving customers in over 160 countries. And it’s the goal we’d love for you to be a part of as a member of our global team as we continue our journey.
FreshBooks is growing and looking for a Staff Enterprise Architect to help our business units achieve their goals, and enable FreshBookers to do their jobs more effectively. You’ll be doing this by overseeing and scaling our internal business systems, tools, technologies and IT infrastructure, optimizing business operations, and setting the direction and approach for integrating information applications across the company. Within this role, you’ll work with stakeholders to define strategies, develop technical solutions, determine what software and system architectures and patterns should be employed to meet business objectives efficiently. While this role sits within the Business Enablement Team, who is responsible for helping to source, prioritize, plan and deliver on work that falls outside of our product roadmap (e.g. tools, technology and department needs), you’ll additionally be part of the Data Engineering team contributing to technology leadership.
What you'll do:
- Responsible for providing technology leadership and oversight for our internal business tools, technology and systems. Accountable for overall architecture, solution design authority and strategy that support departments with all business technology requests.
- Leading and owning the development and implementation of architecture blueprints (e.g. strategy, principles, standards, patterns & roadmaps).
- Partner and collaborate with Global IT Services, Data Engineering, Data Product, Data Governance and Information Security to evaluate business requirements, develop technical solutions, and then help to coordinate deliverables and support cross-functional projects so they are delivered with the desired business outcomes.
- Review Investment Memos/Project Overviews, advise and guide stakeholders on appropriate solutions (i.e. software, integration technologies, system architectures and patterns should be employed to achieve business objectives), lead solution design, develop proof-of-concepts when applicable, and manage solution implementation including integration with both internal and external applications.
- Lead Business Analysts to execute on technology solutions by overseeing project plans and tracking outcomes.
- Ensure cross functional teams and/or vendors deliver tasks within committed timelines, scope for multiple projects.
- Oversee implementation testing (e.g. functional testing, quality assurance, systems integration testing, and user acceptance testing).
- Monitor and report on key business risks, and make recommendations to mitigate said risk.
- Effective, timely and clear communication of plans, updates and reports to stakeholders and executives
- Participate in the development of Business Enablement Roadmaps and report outcomes in the Quarterly Department Review Process.
- Play a lead role in helping to develop architectural governance, standards, process, and best practices in your domain.
- Ensure post-implementation support, documentation and maintenance is carried out.
- Work with BAs to detail out training programs to support adoption of new technology
- Manage post launch monitoring to ensure technology is working as expected
- Partner with IT to perform any maintenance or upgrades
- Monitor company performance, information, and plans by conducting regular tests and analysis with the support of BAs.
- Oversee company systems status and report any progress or changes
- Enable operational efficiencies by examining existing software, tools and technologies to develop strategies that will help to reduce costs, improve business processes and workflows.
- Work with Business Analysts to evaluate current and new business procedures to unearth more effective solutions (e.g. research and estimate the costs of any contract upgrades/changes).
- Identify better solutions for existing business software system issues.
What you have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent.
- 10+ years of architecting and delivering technology solutions across multiple enterprise architecture domains
- Ability to identify key system architecture components, propose solutions, and help teams build and deliv.Experience working with Data assets such as Cloud Data Warehouses, ML/Ops Frameworks, Customer Data Platforms, CRMs, API Infrastructure and Data Streaming Technologies
- Experience designing the integration of sales, marketing and support technology to achieve an optimized customer journey experience across multiple channels.
- Experience and a strong understanding of networks, systems and infrastructure.
- Experience and understanding of identity and access management systems and how they integrate with other core systems.
- Experience with Enterprise Integration platforms and Data mover technologies.
- Experience in bringing together component subsystems and deploying best practice methodologies.
- Experience researching, evaluating, facilitating vendor selection (i.e. RFI to RFQ), as well as managing external vendors to complete work.
- You’re a natural influencer, leader and communicator who can build effective stakeholder relationships at all levels while communicating complex ideas and technical information in simple terms for all levels of the organization.
- Experience leading and driving cross functional teams to deliver technology solutions with the desired business outcomes.
- Proven record of translating technical strategies to operational plans. Ability to balance the long-term "big picture" and short term implications of decisions.
- Technical leadership and teamwork -- you can educate, inspire, motivate and mentor teams, creating a sense of community amongst the disparate members in technology across FreshBooks.
- Strong believer in data-driven innovation: ship, measure, improve, repeat.
- Aware of technology and industry trends in order to introduce improved practices and technologies.
We think you’d be a great fit for the role if you also have:
- Certification in one of the enterprise architecture frameworks.
What we can promise you
We follow user-centered design in everything we do, and you'll be spending your first three weeks onboarding, just learning about our customers.
- An incredible growth opportunity; this is an opportunity to help us scale the impact of insight across our organization.
- A great work experience. Competitive benefits and employee perks, plenty of fun and work, s and team members who take pride in their work without ego, all in one of the most unique work cultures out there
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.