Senior Data Engineer
FreshBooks Has a Big Vision
It turns out… unicorns are real! In fact, FreshBooks just became one after raising our valuation to more than $1 billion. And ever since launching in 2003, we’ve been on a steady incline towards one goal: Building easy-to-use accounting software for small business owners. It’s the goal that’s driven us to expand into five offices, serving customers in over 160 countries. And it’s the goal we’d love for you to be a part of as a member of our global team as we continue our journey.
FreshBooks is growing and looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our team. Reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager, this role is part of the Data and Analytics Team and is responsible for building and shaping the future of our data engineering infrastructure and data pipelines, supporting analytics use cases across the organization. If you’re committed to great work and are constantly looking for ways to improve the systems you’re responsible for, we’d love to chat with you!
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with data engineers and full-stack developers on cross-functional agile teams working on features for our stakeholders.
- Work closely with our analytics, data science, product and other internal business teams to ensure their data needs are met.
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions.
- Ship your code with our continuous integration process.
- Provide coaching to data engineers and share and learn from your peers.
- Develop your craft and build your expertise in data engineering.
What you bring:
- Enthusiasm for data engineering!
- Experience creating and maintaining data pipelines
- Experience with Google Cloud, or another major cloud provider such as AWS or Azure
- Experience with BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift, or similar cloud data warehouse technologies
- Experience with Airflow (Workflow Management Platform)
- Strong programming skills in SQL and Python or a similar language
- Experience with streaming technology (e.g. Google Pub/Sub, AWS Kinesis, Kafka, Dataflow, Apache Beam, Spark, etc.)
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, and other DevOps and infrastructure as code technologies.
- A strong practitioner of test-driven (and behaviour driven) development
- Experience with Git workflows, continuous integration and automated build pipelines
- Experience working in an Agile environment
What you might bring:
- A track record of staying at the forefront of data engineering technology.
- Experience with industry ETL & BI tools (Fivetran, Informatica, Datastage, Looker, Tableau, PowerBI etc.)
- Understanding of data warehouse modeling fundamentals (e.g. dimensional modeling, 3NF, star schema) and application relational database concepts (e.g. normalization, referential integrity)
- Subject matter data expertise in the SaaS industry.
- A limitless imagination for where data could go and what we can do with it to make our customers and our people awesome!
What we can promise you
We follow user-centred design in everything we do, and you'll be spending your first three weeks onboarding, just learning about our customers.
- An incredible growth opportunity; this is an opportunity to help us scale the impact of insight across our organization.
- A great work experience. Competitive benefits and employee perks, plenty of fun and work, s and team members who take pride in their work without ego, all in one of the most unique work cultures out there
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.