FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an extraordinary online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Data Modeler
FreshBooks is seeking a Data Modeller to join our team. You will help design and organize new features and update existing ones in our current data and analytics infrastructure. If you’re committed to great work and are constantly looking for ways to improve the systems you’re responsible for, we’d love to chat with you!
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with data engineers, data analysts, data scientists, and product teams working on data and analytics features for our stakeholders.
- Apply Data Modelling methodologies and best practices in designing solutions.
- Focus on data management functional areas of Data Quality, Data Lineage, Data Cataloging and Data Security.
- Provide designs and documentation that fit into the data engineering team’s Agile framework.
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions.
- Develop your craft and build your expertise in data and analytics systems.
- Champion the cause of data literacy.
What you bring:
- Enthusiasm for data and analytics!
- Strong data modeling fundamentals including experience with dimensional modeling, 3NF, star and snowflake schemas, etc., and strong application knowledge concepts like normalization, referential integrity, data domains, etc.
- Experience building and maintaining conceptual, logical and physical data models for reporting and analytics use cases.
- Experience with analytics platforms and methodologies (data lake, data warehouse, data marts, ETL, data modelling, data governance, etc.)
- Strong SQL skills and experience with RDBMS and MPP relational databases.
- Experience with GCP data storage products BigQuery CloudSQL, or similar technologies: e.g. Snowflake, Redshift, Azure SQL Database
- Experience enabling Data governance practices as part of solution implementation.
- Experience with semi-structured and unstructured data.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- The ability to balance a desire to build data and analytics features quickly for internal customers, with the responsibility of making good technical decisions.
What you might bring:
- A passion for keeping up to date in current technologies and future trends.
- Experience with BI tools like Looker, Tableau, Microstrategy, Periscope, etc.
- Experience with Pub/Sub, Spark, Kafka, Kinesis or other streaming technologies.
- Experience using GitHub, reviewing code, receiving and providing feedback.
- A limitless imagination for where data could go and what we can do with it to make our customers and our people awesome!
Why Join Us?
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. In this role, you will be working at the forefront of marketing analytics surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for building an amazing software company right west of downtown Toronto. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, we’d like to meet you.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all of our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
Here at FreshBooks, we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Should you require any accommodations during the recruitment process, please advise your recruiter on how we can meet your needs to ensure a fair and equitable selection process in a confidential manner.