FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We’re a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer experiences, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries, with offices in the U.S., Canada, Netherlands and Croatia.
The Opportunity - Director of Communications (12 Month Contract)
FreshBooks is looking for a Director of Communications to lead the strategic storytelling and small business advocacy arm of our business.
The Communications team manages external and internal communications, community development and engagement strategies, social media, digital content programming and production, corporate social responsibility, ongoing government relations support, and provides counsel to senior management.
This role is part of the marketing team, reporting to the Chief Marketing Officer. The Director of Communications will work across the organization, collaborating with key department leaders to ensure communication plans are integrated and aligned with the strategic imperatives of the business. You understand the factors that help create magnetic content and you know how to make impressions instead of buying them. You understand how to build communities with like-minded goals and can help engage them on an ongoing basis.
What you’ll do:
- Oversee all external and internal communications channels to ensure content and messaging is on-brand and aligned with the strategic objectives of the business.
- Develop and execute creative, integrated communications strategies, including company and product announcements, research releases, and executive thought leadership programs.
- Develop and execute an ambitious digital content plan that supports brand awareness and acquisition goals (live and pre-recorded webinars and Youtube content).
- Drive the successful launch of a new community for small business owners.
- Manage a team of five, across PR, Internal Communications, Digital Content and Community Management.
- Lead the phased launch of a new corporate responsibility program.
- Provide ongoing government relations support; brief executives before key meetings, and lead a small business roundtable series that connects our customers with policymakers and government leaders.
- Lead a dynamic, multi-disciplined team of communications professionals, providing ongoing direction, coaching and hands-on support.
- Manage agency and external partners (including contractors and freelancers).
- Apply empathy and sound judgment to anticipate and effectively manage communication risks.
We think you’ll be an amazing fit for this position if you have:
- A post-secondary education in communications, marketing, or related field
- 8+ years experience leading a communications team, including both internal and external communications
- Proven strategic and project management capabilities, including leadership in creating, executing and measuring programs
- Experience managing agencies and external partners
- Exposure and service to senior and C-suite leadership, with the ability to counsel senior leaders
- Demonstrated experience managing competing priorities, including long-term and short-term priorities
- Experience in software-as-a-service, financial technology or B2B communications preferred
- A collaborative leadership style, with the ability to work effectively with internal stakeholders from across the marketing department to deliver integrated plans and contribute to key campaigns
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working with media monitoring and social listening software
- Examples of previous written work - pitches, blog posts, op-eds, etc.
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all of our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com