FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity – Senior Security Engineer
FreshBooks Product Security Team is looking for a Security Engineer to help validate that our microservices, applications, and websites are designed and implemented to the highest security standards.
You will be responsible for analyzing the security of applications and services, discovering and addressing security issues, building security automation, and quickly reacting to new threat scenarios. You will participate in secure architecture reviews, perform threat modeling, test security of applications & services, review source code, and maintain security tests in the SDLC.
- Work as an internal security consultant to help [feature/product] engineering teams understand the security risk and advise them on best practices
- Perform threat modeling for any new or existing applications and services
- Run periodic application security assessment and write a report for internal and external use
- Review source code of applications and services for vulnerabilities when required
- Stay on top of Vulnerability management and patch management
- Support our responsible disclosure program
- Security training and outreach to product development teams
- Participate in on-call rotation and lead security incident response
- Improve and Maintain static and dynamic application security tests in CICD pipeline
- Perform proactive research to detect new attack vectors and pentest internal and external apps
- Develop security tools and security metrics
- Design, architect, and implement defensive security controls across services
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in threat modeling, secure software development
- You have a deep understanding of how the network and web protocols such as TCP, UDP, HTTP, HTTPS, DNS, routing and IPSEC work
- You have a knack for finding flaws in software and can efficiently communicate how to fix them
- You have experience in working with microservices architecture supporting mobile and web clients
- You have knowledge of cryptography and data security standards
- You have knowledge of security frameworks such as SAML, OpenID, OAuth, etc.
- You have a deep understanding of Kubernetes, Jenkins, Terraform, Ansible, etc.
- You must have experience with scripting languages such as Python/Ruby/Perl/Bash
- You are well versed with OWASP Web Top 10 and Mobile Top 10 and SANS 25
- You are self-driven to keep things moving forward even in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge
- Have participated in bug bounty programs or CTFs
- Have been a speaker at a security conference or a contributor in the security community
- Have security certifications such as OSWE, GWEB, CREST-CWAT
- Have cloud security certifications such as Google Professional Cloud Security Engineer, AWS certified security specialty
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.