FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries, with offices in the U.S., Netherlands and Croatia.
The Opportunity - Director of Product Operations
FreshBooks is looking for a senior product leader to help reshape the world to meet the needs of small business owners and their teams.
You are equal parts product strategist, analyst, financial planner, and operations bar raiser - leading the entire product organization in leveling-up long-term product planning, resource allocation, and connecting the dots between plans and results. You lead the way in making time, information, and decision-making more effective in our product function. All of which leads to consistent innovation that elevates our customers’ businesses, expands our addressable market, and grows FreshBooks in a THINK BIG way. If you're passionate about tackling big challenges head on, partnering with cross-company executive and senior leadership, and ready to back it up with results for our business — come join us now!
What you have:
- 10+ years of experience in a blend of products ops disciplines: product management, financial analysis and planning, generative market/user research, customer analytics, and/or program management
- With at least 5 of those years serving in a product management role
- You're a passionate leader with a keen ability to create structure from ambiguity
- You're an excellent communicator who can explain complex concepts in simple, easy-to-understand terms
- You embrace establishing multi-year business plans and roadmaps to guide strategy and planning for large teams
- You have a track record for effectively collaborating across company departments to integrate planning processes and artifacts
- You are an expert at leading by influence, earning the trust and respect of executives, senior leaders, and team members across the organization
- You excel at setting standards and establishing processes that enable large teams to continually improve their level of execution
- You understand software development — you don’t need to write the code in this role, but you can ask questions and understand how our technology planning and decisions impact our results
- You understand the insight disciplines and when/how to activate them to inform strategy (behavioral analytics, market, and ethnographic research)
- Big bonus points for
- Experience as a small business owner and/or managing products designed for them
- Business/financial planning in a SaaS business model
What you’ll do:
- Bring together teams across FreshBooks to optimally plan and execute product strategy, understand results, and clearly connect them to company P&L and business plans
- That includes leadership in:
- Strategy: analyze and understand industry trends, company business plans, and our customers’ needs and behaviors -> enabling you to contribute as a thought partner in the product planning process
- Operations: run the cadence of key planning and performance review activities; set standards for excellence in planning and execution processes, artifacts, and ceremonies; connect the operating lines between company functions; ensure there is effective coordination between product, sales, marketing, business development, and customer support when it comes to releasing product and assimilating feedback within the product organization
- Finance: ensure product planning is tightly integrated with company financial planning and that all PMs are equipped to connect their individual plans with financial impact
- Analytics: ensure the company is well-equipped with a clear view of customer behavioral analytics and their direct connection to business impact (by setting direction/prioritization for our product analytics team and raising the bar in how behavioral analytics are employed by product teams and managers)
- Across these disciplines
- Establish metrics and frameworks to prioritize, allocate resources, and assess the strength of the product investment portfolio
- Provide regular communication to executives, senior leadership, and the product development organization
- Be a visible leader throughout the organization, advocate for our customers, the products that are truly meaningful to them, and the way we way we make informed decisions about those products
What we can promise you:
- An executive leadership team that has scaled businesses worldwide, brings experience from places like Google, Amazon, Shopify, and Square, and includes founders that have been there since Day 1
- A company that is dedicated to growth - helping our customers’ businesses grow, helping employees grow, and providing a strong return to our shareholders
- A product development organization that is dedicated to excellence in how we make decisions, build, and ship world class product to our customers
- The opportunity to deliver product features that instantly get used by millions of users around the world. We follow user-centered design in everything we do, and you’ll be spending your first month on our support team (as all new FreshBookers do), just talking to them.
- An opportunity to contribute to an award-winning Product Development team where data and research matter more than opinions.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in the heart of Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.