FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries, with offices in the U.S., Netherlands and Croatia.
The Opportunity - Senior Director of Product Management, Payments & Billing
FreshBooks is looking for a senior product leader to help reshape the world to meet the needs of small business owners and entrepreneurs. You are equal parts product leader, team builder, and growth strategist - leading the way to innovation that elevates our customers’ businesses, expands our addressable market, and grows FreshBooks in a THINK BIG way. If you're passionate about tackling big challenges head on, delivering simply amazing experiences, and ready to back it up with results for our business — come join us now!
What you have:
- 10+ years experience in product management and a track record of growing the business through a combination of product innovation, extension, and market expansion, with an emphasis on financial services technology products and experiences: credit card and bank transfer payments, merchant activation, lending/credit options for small businesses, fraud/risk management; billing, subscription, and in-person checkout workflows
- You understand SaaS business models and how to support marketing, sales, and partner strategies from acquisition to late lifecycle engagement
- You are well versed in insight disciplines and when/how to activate them to inform strategy (behavioral analytics, market, and ethnographic research)
- You have employed data science to personalize user experiences and/or productize proprietary insight
- You know your way around a budget, financial statements and are equally versed in assessing competitive landscape, customer segmentation, product-market fit, product-channel fit, and go-to-market approaches
- You embrace setting multi-year vision/roadmap and business plans to guide strategy and planning for large teams
- You have a track record of raising the talent bar in your organization - recruiting, hiring, and developing leaders; growing and nurturing high-performing teams
- You're a passionate leader with a keen ability to create structure from ambiguity
- You're an excellent communicator who can explain complex concepts in simple, easy-to-understand terms
- You understand software development — you don’t need to write the code, but you can ask questions and understand how the tech stack impacts your product
- You understand what comprises a world-class user experience and how to bring together technology and design thinking to accomplish it
- Big bonus points for
- Experience as a small business owner and/or managing products designed for them
- Experience bringing to market payment solutions in international markets
What you’ll do:
- Understand the state of FreshBooks business and opportunities in both P&L and market terms
- Collaborate with executives and cross-functional leaders to ensure that understanding of the business is shared
- Lead ongoing business and portfolio planning; be the thought-leader when it comes to payments and billing opportunities
- Organize and manage a team of product managers to execute that plan; by extension, provide product direction for dozens of team members (engineers, designers, marketers, etc.)
- Be responsible for your results and report out to partners and execs on impact your products and projects are making
- Spend time with customers to develop a deep empathy for the challenges of small businesses
- Ensure strategy/plan is clearly mapped to our mission - to reshape the world to suit the needs of small businesses
- Recruit, interview, hire, and develop talented team members. Ensure the product organization has a ‘bench’ of engaged, flexible, and talented leaders
- Inspire your team and help them sharpen their Product Management skills
- Be a visible leader throughout the organization, advocate for our customers and the products that are truly meaningful to them
What we can promise you:
- An executive leadership team that has scaled businesses worldwide, brings experience from places like Google, Amazon, Shopify, and Square, and includes founders that have been there since Day 1
- A company that is dedicated to growth - helping our customers’ businesses grow, helping employees grow, and providing a strong return to our shareholders
- A product development organization that is dedicated to excellence in how we make decisions, build, and ship world class product to our customers
- The opportunity to deliver product features that instantly get used by millions of users around the world. We follow user-centered design in everything we do, and you’ll be spending your first month on our support team (as all new FreshBookers do), just talking to them.
- An opportunity to contribute to an award-winning Product Development team where data and research matter more than opinions.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in the heart of Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.