FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Based in Toronto, Canada, and known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries, with offices in the U.S., Netherlands and Croatia.
The Opportunity - Product (UX) Designer, Mobile
Join us as a Product Designer, Mobile where you’ll have the opportunity to make a huge impact on our mobile web and app experience. You’ll design mobile solutions for our design system and for our products, enabling our teams to deliver outstanding experiences to small business owners all over the globe.
In this position, you will collaborate closely with our world-class product teams to make our mobile products more consistent, accessible, and easy to use. You will own every stage of the design process, from generative research and concepts to prototyping and usability testing.
Specifically in this position, you will:
- Seek to deeply understand complex design and pattern problems and explore multiple high-level approaches to solve them
- Contribute to the vision and design of the FreshBooks design system and patterns library
- Work closely with Software Engineers to create effective and scalable components and patterns
- Take input, requirements, and feedback from multiple stakeholders across different cross-functional teams to understand business requirements and deliver intuitive UX solutions.
- Contribute to UX improvements and new features for our responsive web and native iOS and Android apps
- Work with our mobile product teams to make our mobile experiences accessible and WCAG 2.0 compliant
- Help shape our design standards and patterns across all our platforms
- Create clarity and consistency from ambiguity to drive decision making
- Communicate design decisions and rationale to peers and stakeholders
- Mentor and coach peers to help them integrate design components into their work
- Uphold our design standards and inspire others towards design excellence
- Apply user-centered design approaches to iterate on designs
We think you'll be an amazing fit for this position if your application can demonstrate:
- At least 2-3 years experience as a UX designer working on world-class mobile software products supported by design systems, optimally contributing to those systems
- Expertise designing accessible solutions for mobile web and native apps
- Experience with Design Thinking methodologies and system design best practices
- Experience doing stakeholder interviews and presentations
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- A true focus on the customer (internal or external)—you make your design decisions based on research, including interviews, usability testing, and quantitative data
- A passion for the “why” of design, as well as the “what”
- An egoless attitude toward design, a passion to learn and grow every day, and an interest in sharing your learnings with your peers
- The ability to test hypotheses through prototyping and an iterative process
- Associate degree or equivalent in user experience design, human-computer interaction, or equivalent
What we can promise you:
- We follow user-centered design in everything we do, and you’ll be spending your first month on our support team, just talking to customers
- An incredible growth opportunity; this is an opportunity to help us scale the impact of UX design across our organization.
- Commitment and belief in research; this is an opportunity to contribute to an operation where data and research matter more than opinions
- A great work experience. Top tier benefits, plenty of fun and quirk, family friendliness, and co-workers who take pride in their work without ego, all in one of the most unique work cultures out there.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
We're happy to support remote workers across Canada as well. Please apply with your resume, as well as an online portfolio that demonstrates how you frame user problems, design solutions, and test those solutions with users.
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.