FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but in Europe we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 160 countries.
The Opportunity – Cloud Engineer (Messaging Systems)
FreshBooks is looking for a Cloud Engineer with a focus on temporary data/messaging systems to play a vital role that impacts the lives of millions of small business owners around the world involving customer experiences and businesses. We are looking for people who thrive in a creative, collaborative and agile development environment.
If you have a learning aptitude, please come and chat with us to explore more about how you can become a part of the intrinsically motivated teams of engineers!
What you'll do in your first twelve months at FreshBooks:
- Develop, deploy and operate cloud native infrastructure, on GCP, for the FreshBooks’ SaaS accounting platform.
- Manage temporary data/messaging systems in cloud (Google Cloud Platform) and production environments.
- Maintain data integrity and high availability of temporary data/messaging systems like RabbitMQ, Elasticsearch, Redis.
- Handle configurations for RabbitMQ and other messaging systems.
- Triage, fix or escalate system issues.
- You will help harden & operate various other technologies used at FreshBooks like: DNS, Kubernetes, GCP networking, Docker, MySQL, etc.
- Take a data-driven approach to operations you will drive a culture of automation, both within the team and throughout the organisation, to scale FreshBooks efficiently and reliably.
- Help raise the bar on our incident response management process and join a periodic on-call rotation.
- Create cutting edge cloud infrastructure through Infrastructure-as-Code and automation.
- Lead and participate in technical discussions to aid system design, analysis, and troubleshooting.
What you have:
- 6+ years experience working in a high volume production environment.
- Experience working with Google Cloud Platform, AWS or other public cloud technologies and their messaging solutions.
- Advanced level knowledge of any of the following messaging technologies such as RabbitMQ (or any other messaging technology such as Kafka, Pub/Sub, Solace, IBM MQ, etc.)
- Experience with Elasticsearch or Redis (or any other document and/or key value stores like CouchDB, Berkley DB, DynamoDB etc).
Nice to have:
- Experience with technologies like Datadog, Newrelic, Nagios, Cacti, Sysdig and/or Grafana.
- Hands-on experience with container technologies, like Docker runtime and Kubernetes orchestration.
- Hands-on experience working with Infrastructure-as-Code tools such as Terraform or Ansible.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and team spirit.
- Openness to exploring new technology and share and learn from your peers.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eye’s laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in Europe.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com