FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Staff Software Engineer
FreshBooks is looking for a Staff Software Engineer to join our Payments Engineering team. You will play a hands-on role in driving our mission to build a world-class technology company with a global footprint. You will be instrumental in providing payments solutions that impact the lives of millions of small business owners around the world and directly impact customer experiences and businesses. We are looking for people who thrive in a creative, collaborative and agile development environment.
If this appeals to you, please come and chat with us to learn more about how you can become a part of the intrinsically motivated teams of engineers!
What you'll do:
- Build payments applications that have a meaningful impact on customers around the world
- Work closely with UX designers and Product owners to ensure the best Payment experience for our customers
- Design and develop application technologies that optimize solution operation and minimize maintenance overhead
- Collaborate with full-stack and mobile developers on cross-functional Agile teams working on features for our customers
- Participate and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions
- Ensure quality through automated testing
- Ship your code with our CI/CD process
- Develop your craft and build your expertise in web full-stack development
- Mentor others, versus just answering questions - Pairing and mentoring others is an integral part of this level
- Participate and lead code review sessions.
- Demonstrate a passion for building high-quality software that addresses customer needs
What you bring:
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in web application development (Agile or Lean environment)
- Experience writing and working with REST APIs -- and by “REST,” we really do mean actual resource-oriented REST, and not RPC using HTTP mechanisms
- Learn quickly and experiment to find new solutions
- Experience with databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
- Familiarity with continuous integration (or better, continuous delivery) and automated build pipelines
- The ability to balance the desire to ship code quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and of applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
What you might have:
- Experience with Payment Processing & Payment Gateways (i.e Stripe / PayPal / extra)
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.