FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Website Development Manager/Web Development Manager/Manager WordPress Web Development
The Website Development Manager is a key leader on the Web Services team, who is responsible for the discovery, definition and delivery of website marketing initiatives that showcase the FreshBooks product, attract new customers, and improves overall customer experience. You will hold the vision for our technology roadmap, ensure our website continuously evolves to meet our goals, and ensure engagement and growth objectives are facilitated through our web properties.
You will work closely with stakeholders to understand business challenges so that you can be a conduit between the business and development side of the team. Working with a technical lead and team of full stack web developers, you will translate business strategy to technical requirements and user stories, and lead an agile team in executing development projects, performance and SEO optimizations, and infrastructure improvements on the FreshBooks public website and blog.
Along with a strong technical background, and history working with web marketing teams, you’ll have experience managing development teams in an agile environment to ensure projects are properly scoped, prioritized, assigned and delivered on time. Additionally, the ideal candidate will be able to manage team growth and development as the team continues to grow.
What you’ll do:
- Manage a development team to deliver website features/experiences/solutions that enable us to engage our customers.
- Work closely with Design, Content, SEO, Product Development, and Data teams to deliver inspiring and engaging experiences and journeys for our supporters.
- Manage estimation and scoping of web projects, working with Project Managers and Scrum Masters to prioritize and allocate project work to your team as part of an agile/scrum process. Represent the team in planning and product meetings.
- Engage with internal and external development partners to deliver new exciting web experiences to FreshBooks customers. Manage the relationship with vendors and onboard new developers and contractors as needed. Be a positive influence on the team, fostering FreshBooks values.
- Nurture strong, collaborative relationships with stakeholders across the company (Lifecycle Marketing, Acquisition Marketing, International, Product Marketing, Sales and Support) to ensure the website is supporting business needs and driving business results.
- Design solutions to key business and technical problems and build consensus around them.
- Develop and deliver technical design docs, plans and roadmaps and continually look for areas to improve the daily operation efficiencies of an agile development team.
- Oversee the coding process to produce clean, efficient code with an eye toward maintainability, flexibility and high performance, balancing quality with continuous delivery.
- Ensure the team delivers sites that are accessible and forward-compatible through the healthy use of web standards.
- Approximate breakdown of responsibilities: 20% stakeholder management and representing Web Services across the company, 60% leading the development team through prioritization, defining requirements and enabling dev productivity, 20% growth and development through coaching, mentoring and continuous improvement.
What you have:
- Experience managing people, holding 1-1s, giving feedback and helping coach team members to grow and thrive.
- Prior experience architecting, implementing and managing Content Management Platforms for high traffic pages. Bonus points if WordPress.
- Comfortable leading design implementations across modern devices & browsers.
- Solid understanding of agile development practices and Git workflows.
- Great communicator with strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills. Ability to collaborate with a range of people, from developers to project managers.
- Experience with web performance, conversion rate optimization (A/B or multivariate testing), and SEO optimization
- Ability to facilitate conversations with differing perspectives and priorities, while connecting proposed work and outcomes to business needs and strategy.
- Ability to track, coordinate, and prioritize multiple projects on a range of timelines.
- Ability to strategically manage team workload and adapt to last-minute asks and changing timelines and priorities with flexibility and good humor.
What you may also have:
- Experience in implementing website personalization
- Experience migrating CMS systems or experience implementing enterprise CMS solutions
- Understanding of web deployment tools (CircleCI, Jenkins)
- Proficiency with unit and integration testing
- Experience with Fastly or equivalent edge cloud platforms (GCP, AWS)
- Understanding of headless CMS systems, their use and implementation
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.