FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building a kick-ass online accounting application to help small businesses better manage their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity – Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Manager
FreshBooks is looking for a Search Engine Marketing (SEM) Manager that will help drive customer and ROI growth for the company. You will be collaborating with a cross-functional group of marketers, developers and data scientists to drive growth at FreshBooks. This is a hands-on role involving a variety of platforms including Google AdWords and Bing Ads.
What you'll do:
Strategy development and execution
- Ensuring a deep understanding of the overall business strategy and objectives
- Act as a subject matter expert in paid search marketing, responsible for strategy and best-practices to drive improved performance, supporting all marketing and digital channel efforts to ensure a consistent approach to winning in paid search
- Evaluating current SEM account set up, developing new strategies to increase performance, and proactively presenting those to internal planning teams as required.
- Managing the day to day SEM channel, responding to questions
- Daily, weekly and monthly optimizations including evaluation of ad copy, ad formats, and ad groups as well as implementing negative keywords and bidding strategies.
- Regular analyses of Google analytics and landing pages to determine the impact on overall search results and web traffic
- Ability to direct site tagging strategy, and successfully set up and manage performance-driven campaigns.
- Providing accurate and timely reporting to the internal team with insights, benchmarks, and recommendations on the next steps.
- Writing search ad copy as required
Ongoing improvement and evolution of channel offerings:
- Lead the formulation of POV's and collaborate with both internal and external partners to drive adoption of new SEM platform opportunities and industry best practices paying special attention to innovations with respect to targeting/personalization, audiences, measurement, and optimization capabilities
- Working with partners to understand Alphas and Betas in the market
- Testing and learning new search tactics and bidding strategies
- Accurate tracking and reporting of those learnings and optimizations back to internal teams and senior leadership
Leading Technical Expertise:
- Deep knowledge of Google AdWords, Bing ads, Apple search ads, etc. Including maintaining certifications where appropriate
- Ensuring a deep familiarity with pixels, their implementation, and testing to ensure they are working correctly. Including the evolution of campaign tracking/tagging, etc.
- Recognize and troubleshoot data anomalies with vendors and internal teams as needed. Requires advanced knowledge of Google suite, third party management systems and data handling
- Build exceptional proficiency of the team with SQL, reporting tools, and web analytics (Google Analytics, Google Adwords, Bing, SEMRush, etc.).
Managing Staff, Process and the Search Product
- Ensuring that process and communication is efficient and accurate between cross-functional teams and search team. Refining this process ongoing as required.
- Coaching and mentoring direct reports – helping them advance their technical knowledge and skillset
- Training through practical exposure to tasks with close oversight, positive feedback and repetition. Providing explanations of the ‘why’ behind each task
- Establishing deadlines and following up to meet deadlines
- Ensuring that workload is well distributed and there are fail-safes/back-up plans for unplanned absences
- Educating cross functional colleagues and direct reports on the search landscape and pertinent technical issues – training colleagues etc where appropriate/requested.
Managing the financial health of the channel through:
- Accurate execution of media budgets and management of monthly targets
- Forecasting budgets and pacing ensuring reporting/reforecasting as needed
- Timely approval & reconciliation of media invoices
We think you'll be an amazing fit for this position if you have:
- 5-7 years managing paid search campaigns in an in-house or agency role
- Experience with Google AdWords, Bing ads, and Apple search ads
- A passion for keeping up to date with the latest developments in your field
- An understanding of Customer Lifetime Value, CPA and ROI in customer acquisition
Not required, but nice to have:
- Experience at a startup, SaaS company or in B2B online acquisition
Why Join Us?
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help shape how we build a world-class software start-up right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today. A member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.