FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Data Governance Manager (Remote)
The Data Governance Manager at FreshBooks is responsible for leading and managing processes and policies that result in the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of data at FreshBooks. Working with others in the Data team, you will have responsibility for improving the quality, and managing the protection of our sensitive data and information assets.
If this appeals to you please come and chat with us to learn more about how you can become a part of our Data team!
What you'll do:
- Work collaboratively with the Data team on the approach, development, and maintenance of the Data Governance Policy and its processes and procedures
- Drive the standardization of data naming, establishing consistent data definitions, monitoring/auditing the data quality and executing cleansing and policy agreements.
- Enure effective and reliable storage of metadata, and conduct periodic review of metadata documentation for quality and completeness.
- Work with senior leadership across Freshbooks to identify data domains and owners to assist in the development and delivery of data governance
- Work with stakeholders to ensure that data related business requirements for protecting sensitive data are clearly defined, communicated and well understood and considered as part of operational prioritization and planning
- Help create, deliver, manage and uphold governance framework to ensure high levels of data quality, integrity, availability, accuracy, completeness, consistency and privacy
- Develop and implement data standards, guaranteeing metadata is captured correctly, and creating methods for monitoring and reporting any data incidents.
- Create and maintain a common data dictionary and the tools or methods that support data standards for an organization.
- Ensure that all reference data is properly catalogued in the Data Catalogue, including business definitions, schemas and lineage.
- Ensure the safe storage and transmission of data in line with privacy and compliance laws, data regulations and internal company policies.
- Develop and maintain an inventory of the enterprise information data systems, and manage data access to these systems, in compliance with privacy laws, data regulations and internal company policies
- Define data governance KPIs to evaluate the effectiveness of data governance and compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and responsibilities, and adoption requirements
- Manage expectations and build relationships across all levels of the organization
What you’ll have:
- Experience and understanding of data governance and data management best practices in a SaaS environment
- Experience with metadata management: business glossary, data catalog, classification/tagging, data lineage.
- Knowledge on data regulations, privacy, ethical use of data, data sharing, critical data indicators, access management and data masking techniques.
- Understanding of risk and strong risk mitigation skills.
- Understanding and experience with data management technologies/concepts such as Data lake, data warehouse, relational databases, data ingestion/ETL and data visualizations.
What you might bring:
- Prior data engineering or analytical experience
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one, right here in Toronto, Canada.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all of our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org