FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - DevOps Engineering Manager (Remote)
As the Engineering Manager of DevOps at FreshBooks, you'll be responsible for ensuring that FreshBooks’ team of software developers can frequently ship quality code to production reliably, securely and efficiently. As a guide in the development and delivery of software, tools and automation, you'll know how to scale our DevOps systems to meet the needs of our growing developer community. Your extraordinary background in software development will provide you with the skills and perspective needed to drive FreshBooks’ software development team to the next level of productivity.
You're already a skilled Leader, able to recruit new talent and champion teams and their Leaders. Your technical experience with large-scale web technologies allows you to lead by example. Strong communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence across an organization. In all areas you're able to anticipate and plan for the future.
What you'll do:
- Lead a team of talented software developers and engineers to build, evolve and grow FreshBooks’ existing Developer Experience platform, including CI/CD Pipelines, automated testing, performance testing, automated security and code quality checks
- Maintain and ensure the availability of our DevOps pipeline and tools in our production GCP environment
- Monitor and continuously improve DevOps KPIs such as lead time to change, deployment failure rate, change volume
- Work with teams to set goals, plan roadmaps and achieve results across the developer community and within the developer experience team
- Set, maintain and raise a level of technical excellence across your group and the entire development organization
- Engage frequently with the the software development teams to ensure their needs and requirements are met and factored into the Developer Experience Platform roadmaps
- Work closely with the Product Development leadership, including the SVP of Engineering, VP of Product and Directors to build a world-class engineering team
- Attract and recruit talent across the organization to help execute the FreshBooks mission
- Anticipate and prepare for the future - technology, people, culture and process
What you have:
- A minimum of 2-3 years of experience leading teams as a manager or team lead
- 10 years overall technical experience in a fast paced web environment
- Strong DevOps CI/CD knowledge including use of DevOps tools such as Git, Terraform, Jenkins, Ansible, etc.
- Experience contributing to and managing roadmaps, project plans and commitments
- Experience with infrastructure as code, relational databases, distributed systems, reliability space
- Experience with Python/Java/C++ or other scripting languages, REST APIs, testing automation, continuous integration and build pipelines
- Experience working with Google Cloud, AWS or other public cloud technologies
- A history of establishing teams by developing leaders and recruiting exceptional talent
- The ability to influence an organization through exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- A demonstrated ability to anticipate the future, navigate ambiguity, develop plans and successfully execute over multiple quarters
- A love of learning, a constant drive for self-improvement and a desire to help everyone be better
Bonus if you have:
- A degree in Computer Science/Engineering or Information Technology
- Experience working with Scrum or Agile teams
- Knowledge of some or all of: web network protocols, security, persistence solutions, RabbitMQ, Celery, Ansible, Kubernetes, Docker, ElasticSearch, Redis and similar technologies
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org