FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Principal Software Engineer (Data Platform)
We’re looking for a strong technical leader who has gravitas to influence and has deep knowledge of building and designing a robust and scalable data infrastructure for SaaS products. An effective communicator, a mentor who can think on their feet and be able to come up with practical, simple solutions to complex problems. As a Principal Engineer for the FreshBooks’ data platform, you are someone who can redefine the data engineering capability and constantly push boundaries. You will be owning FreshBooks’ cloud data infrastructure to ensure data pipeline scalability and elasticity on GCP.
If this appeals to you, please come and chat with us to learn more about how you can become a part of the intrinsically motivated teams of engineers!
What you'll do in your first twelve months at FreshBooks:
- Collaborate on cross-functional internal client and data teams working on features for our customers.
- Advocate best practices, contribution to roadmaps, domain breadth and/or depth, stewardship, mentoring others.
- Define and communicate technical vision and challenge across different levels of business including Senior Executives and Senior Leadership group.
- Help in growing the technical expertise of the team as they continue to work and touch services outside their realm.
- Demonstrate experience coaching and mentoring technical teams, and growing the overall technical maturity of our data organization.
- Evolve our technical architecture to scale with our rapidly growing customer community.
- Develop a deep understanding of multiple parts of our stack as well as the processes and technologies relevant to our tech space.
- Be capable of supporting the data platform from end to end.
- Raise the bar for our entire data engineering team through best practices, automation, documentation, and hiring.
- Level up our operational excellence, and drive our team to maintain it, so that common regressions are root caused.
- Support operational excellence and make measurable improvements to our support processes.
- Lead and own in technical discussions to aid overall cloud roadmap and system design.
- Guide data engineering teams to develop, test, debug and release scalable, resilient and high available data pipelines..
What you bring:
- Experience in architecting and building large-scale batch or stream processing data pipelines.
- Experience architecting scalable ETLs with inputs from multiple data sources.
- Experience in creating a solid data platform roadmap and vision, experience in executing it in the previous roles.
- Experience with AWS or google cloud data engineering technologies, such as ElasticMapReduce, S3, EC2, Kinesis, Dataflow and Pub/Sub.
- Experience with data warehousing technologies such as Amazon RedShift or Google BigQuery.
- Experience in Airflow or other data infrastructure job scheduling software.
- Experience writing complex SQL queries.
- Strong programming skills in Python or similar language.
- Ability to troubleshoot and determine root causes of issues.
- Experience working with large codebases, writing robust and testable code.
- Experience ensuring security and governance of data.
- A passion for keeping up to date in current technologies and future trends.
What you might bring:
We're looking for a variety of talented technical leadership and know that a mix of skills and experience is useful. Even having a couple of the skills from the list below would be a strong asset.
- Expertise in the core areas of business of FreshBooks (accounting, payments, small business solutions)
- A background in DevOps and service ownership, and a clear understanding of bounded contexts and how they map onto microservices.
- Strong pair programming both as a mechanism for producing better code, and for teaching skills.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools.
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one, right here in Toronto, Canada.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all of our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.