FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity - Staff Software Engineer (Remote)
We’re looking for a strong Staff Engineer who has the aspiration to become Principal Engineer. You are someone who is an advocate of best practices, contributor to technical roadmaps and has a genuine neck for stewardship and mentorship. You will share our passion for our customers and will join an engineering team that strongly believes in building scalable solutions verified through automated testing, developed iteratively to deliver world class products. We pay as much attention to building a culture of fast learning in a fun and trustworthy environment as we do to building our products.
If this appeals to you, please come and chat with us to learn more about how you can become a part of the intrinsically motivated teams of engineers!
What you'll do in your first twelve months at FreshBooks:
- Collaborate on cross-functional teams working on features for our customers
- Help in growing the technical expertise of the team as they continue to work and touch services outside their realm
- Taking the ownership and showcasing commitment to multiple domains
- Communicate technical direction, engage, and inspire multiple teams to follow
- Research, design and share your ideas in technical and architecture discussions
- Work with multiple cross-discipline stakeholders, cross-team initiatives
- Accountable for technical direction of FreshBooks tech stack with anticipation of business needs
- Raise the bar for our entire engineering team through best practices, automation, documentation, and hiring
- Level up our operational excellence, and drive our team to maintain it, so that common regressions are root caused
- Support operational excellence and make measurable improvements to our support processes
- Develop your craft, improve your expertise in software development, and raise the level of the teams around you
What you bring:
- At least 10 years of experience in web application development (Agile or Lean environment)
- Five or more years with cloud-native and microservice-based architectures
- Strong experience in one of our core technologies - Python and Ruby on Rails - or a strong track record in C, C++ or Java
- A background in DevOps and service ownership, and a clear understanding of bounded contexts and how they map onto microservices.
- Demonstrated focus on continuous quality, deployment and delivery of services through an emphasis on automation, and strong Engineering Systems.
- Proven ability to articulate the value of foundational technology approaches to technology leaders
- Strong understanding of Docker-based containers, Kubernetes, or other container schedulers
- Experience with databases and SQL – our database is MySQL
- Experience in designing, writing and building with REST APIs
- A deep understanding of test-driven (and behavioural test driven) development, and of building substantially complete test code, and not just for the happy path
- Familiarity with continuous integration (or better, continuous delivery) and automated build pipelines
- The ability to balance desire to ship code quickly to our customers with the responsibility of making good technical decisions
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and of applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve the code and Engineering organization
What you might bring:
We're looking for a variety of talented technical leadership and know that a mix of skills and experience is useful. Even having a couple of the skills from the list below would be a strong asset.
- Expertise in the core areas of business of FreshBooks (accounting, payments, small business solutions)
- A background in DevOps and service ownership, and a clear understanding of bounded contexts and how they map onto microservices
- Strong pair programming both as a mechanism for producing better code, and for teaching skills
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Terraform, or other similar tools
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform, or another major cloud provider such as AWS
- Experience with Redis / Elasticsearch & RabbitMQ
- Nice to have GraphQL and JSON API
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eye’s laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
Here at FreshBooks, we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Should you require any accommodations during the recruitment process, please advise your recruiter on how we can meet your needs to ensure a fair and equitable selection process in a confidential manner.