FreshBooks has an ambitious vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started Amsterdam and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high-performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary product and customer service experiences and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity: As a Senior Director of Engineering at FreshBooks you'll be responsible for the development of a significant line of business or core infrastructure. As a seasoned leader and manager you'll handle a group of development teams and help accelerate their execution. As a guide in the development and delivery of online service software and/or infrastructure, you'll know how to scale software and platforms to millions of users. Your extraordinary technology skills will help you guide your teams through complex and ambiguous environments towards simple and elegant implementations.
You're already a skilled leader for a group of developers, able to recruit new talent and champion development teams and their leaders. Your technical experience with large-scale web technologies allows you to lead by example. Strong communication and interpersonal skills allow you to effectively influence across an organization. In all areas you're able to anticipate and plan for the future.
What you'll do:
- Own and drive the execution of and be accountable for the technical vision of a crucial area for FreshBooks - either a key line of business or core infrastructure - by leading a group of development teams and by working with other product development disciplines
- Expertly lead by example and manage and a group of developers, technical leads and managers
- Set, maintain and raise a level of technical excellence across your group and the entire development organization
- Work closely with other key Product Development leaders, including the SVP, VP of Engineering, VP of Product and other Directors, to build a world-class engineering organization
- Attract and recruit talent across the organization to help execute the FreshBooks mission
- Anticipate and prepare for the future - technology, people, culture and process
- As part of the leadership team in Amsterdam, you’ll be owning many General Management responsibilities
What you have:
- Proven technical management experience, either with an organization of 15 or more developers or over a period of at least 4 years
- Technical expertise in one or more relevant areas, particularly the design, implementation and maintenance of web services and/or infrastructure
- A history of establishing teams by developing leaders and managers and recruiting exceptional talent
- The ability to influence an organization through exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
- A demonstrated ability to anticipate the future, navigate ambiguity, develop plans and successfully execute over multiple quarters
- A love of learning, a constant drive for self-improvement and a desire to help everyone be better
What you may have:
- Experience working with Scrum or Agile teams
- Knowledge of some or all of: Ember or a similar technology, Flask or a similar technology, Java, Swift, Objective-C, RabbitMQ, Celery, Puppet, Ansible, Docker, Cloud Platforms like AWS, similar development technologies
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field
Sure, there are perks: but the real reason people are proud to work at FreshBooks is because each person knows their opinion is respected, and they can see the difference they make in the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. If you want to accelerate your career, work on projects you're passionate about and have just as much of a life outside the office as inside—you're exactly what we're looking for.
We value our people...
We recognize and reward ingenious work. We all have real lives, and respect work lifestyle balance. We all have a voice that is heard throughout the company. We always make time for fun, and have one of the most unique, employee-led cultures out there. Join the FreshBooks choir or a class in the gym, organize a gaming night, teach a dev lunch and learn, or use a paid volunteer day to share your skills with the community. Salaries are competitive and compensation packages include stake in the company. Interested? Let’s get started!
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.