FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity – Technical Lead, Application Security
Security is every FreshBookers’ responsibility, however in this newly created position, the Technical Lead, Application Security will be focused on continuously improving FreshBooks’ application security posture and our continuous compliance with PCI-DSS. We expect you to be our subject matter expert in secure application design, secure development lifecycle, incident handling, threat management, security policies, and more. Mentoring and coaching are imperative for success in this role because the team will be continuously educating each other and the rest of the organization.
What you'll need:
- At least five years of experience in the Security field as a Security Engineer, or similar
- Experience as a security subject matter expert including mentoring and coaching others)
- Cloud Security
- Security Architecture experience
- Strong troubleshooting, reasoning, problem-solving, customer service, and communication skills
- A collaborative and agile approach to getting work done
The more of the following you bring, the better:
- A university degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering or a relevant field
- Specific experience with SaaS applications on Google Cloud Platform or similar (AWS, Azure)
- Experience securing microservices and distributed systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of information technology security, trends, leading practices, regulatory and industry standard compliance issues (PCI-DSS and others)
- Experience performing threat modelling, offensive assessments, penetration testing, exploit development, or vulnerability analysis
- Working knowledge of common and industry standard cloud-native/cloud-friendly authentication/authorization mechanisms (OAuth, OpenID, SAML etc.) and key management/secret vaulting solutions, including HSM (Thales, Gemalto SafeNet etc.)
What you’ll do:
- Actively detect, respond to, and remediate security events across our infrastructure
- Ensure that we maintain key industry compliance certifications (PCI-DSS)
- Be a trusted technical advisor and solve complex Cloud security technical challenges
- Be a key partner of the SDLC and work closely with product development teams to ensure that they’re writing secure code and designing secure systems.
- Help build and lead a Security Engineering team including recommendations to the security and product roadmaps
- Enable teams to take ownership of secure code
- Mentor the Product Development team ensuring compliance to security engineering best practices
- Ensure Agile and Lean best practices are applied to software development and security architecture design
- Audit and analyze production code for potential security concerns
- Build knowledge of and stay ahead of developments in the cyber threat landscape to adapt investigation techniques and provide recommendations on responding to and remediating related incidents
- Identify and document information security risks and propose mitigating controls
- Provide analysis and guidance regarding threats, vulnerabilities, and privacy and security incidents
- Identify security gaps and recommend & facilitate the mitigation of the gaps in line with industry standards and best practices
Sure, there are perks, but the real reason people are proud to work at FreshBooks is because each person knows their opinion is respected, and they can see the difference they make in the lives of over 10 million small business owners around the world. If you want to accelerate your career, work on projects you're passionate about and have just as much of a life outside the office as inside—you're exactly what we're looking for.
Why Join Us
We're a motivated bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to businesses. You will be surrounded by hardworking team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build an elite one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on gender, religion, race, mental disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other status. All applicants are considered based on their qualifications and merits. At FreshBooks, we inspire an environment of mutual respect and we believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.