FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building a world class online accounting application to help small businesses better manage their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity: Principal Data Engineer
Build strategy, be hands on, create and influence the business! This is a unique opportunity to build our data engineering team from the ground up and make a lasting impact on the evolution of FreshBooks Cloud Accounting services at the Principal level.
We’re looking for someone who has had a track record of mentoring, coaching and building successful teams that get noticed and has evolved products and technology roadmaps. Bring your expertise in an innovative, future looking position on the cutting edge of technology.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with full-stack and mobile developers on cross-functional agile teams working on features for our customers.
- Participate in the company’s Principal community, lead broad level technology initiatives and set technical and architectural direction for our entire engineering department.
- Work closely with Data analyst and product owners to ensure the best user experience for our customers (internal and external).
- Research, design and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions.
- Ship your code and enhance our delivery process by learning in-depth details of our codebase and mapping long term improvements
What you bring:
- Expertise in world-class development, spanning more than one technology stack
- The ideal candidate should be a strong seasoned person in at least one of our core technologies like SQL, Data Warehousing technologies and/or Python
- Experience with data pipelines, ETL, streaming data engines, and related technologies
- Experience with non-SQL storage technologies and big data, and understanding of when it makes sense to use them, and when it doesn’t.
- Strong and deep refactoring skills, and the ability to impart them to other developers.
- Experience working with large codebases and writing robust and testable code.
- Familiarity with continuous integration (or better, continuous delivery) and automated build pipelines, we are moving towards service ownership, therefore ability to contribute to pipeline creation and design is a plus.
- The ability to balance desire to ship code quickly to our customers with responsibility of making good technical decisions.
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.