FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building an elite online accounting application to help small businesses better handle their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity: Principal Data Engineer
Build strategy, be hands on, create and influence the business! This is a unique opportunity to make a lasting impact on the evolution of data engineering at the Principal level at FreshBooks.
What you'll do:
- Help guide the vision and roadmap of Data Engineering at FreshBooks, building a data focused mindset through the company
- Create and maintain FreshBooks’ data pipeline as part of a Data Engineering team
- Help set standards and best practices in data modelling
- Architect and evolve data infrastructure to fill future needs of the business
- Work closely with Data Analysts and other stakeholders to meet business requirements
- Research, design and share your ideas in technical design and architecture discussions
- Mentor and help develop other data engineers in the team
You will bring:
- Experience in architecting and building large-scale batch or stream processing data pipelines
- Experience architecting scalable ETLs with inputs from multiple data sources
- Experience with AWS or Google cloud data engineering technologies, such as ElasticMapReduce, S3, EC2, and Kinesis
- Experience with data warehousing technologies such as Amazon RedShift or Google BigQuery
- Experience in Airflow or other data infrastructure job scheduling software
- Experience writing complex SQL queries
- Strong programming skills in Python or similar language with deep refactoring skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and determine root causes of issues
- Experience working with large codebases, writing robust and testable code
- Experience ensuring security and governance of data
- A passion for keeping up to date in current technologies and future trends
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks is an equal opportunity employer that embraces the differences in all of our employees. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all FreshBookers. All applicants are evaluated based on their experience and qualifications in relation to this position.
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.