FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building a world class online accounting application to help small businesses better manage their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity – Software Architect
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with multi-functional Agile teams working on features for our customers
- Actively identify, organize and lead broad level initiatives on both product and technology
- Participate in the company’s Principal community, and set technical and architectural direction for our entire engineering department
- Develop your craft, improve your expertise in Full Stack web and mobile development, and raise the level of the teams around you
- Work closely with Development Leadership, Business and Principal Developers to ensure that architectural decisions are taken with a long-term perspective
- Develop high-level product direction with attention to system integration and feasibility
- Communicate successfully all concepts and guidelines to development team
- Hands-on coding, always. An Architect should always contribute to production code and be able to identify when proof of concept or prototypes are necessary
- Review and advocate for best testing practices, standards, and technologies
What you bring:
- A minimum of 10 years of expertise in web application development, in an Agile or Lean environment
- Deep understanding and experience with Continuous Delivery concepts and its application
- Experience in long term goal setting and technical roadmap responsibility
- Experience in all aspects of SDLC, including testing and delivery
- Focus on long-term importance versus short-term urgency
- Strong communication skills, business insight, and ability to interact with and influence non-Engineering stakeholders
- A long-standing habit of continuous learning, and of applying new technologies, architectures, and methodologies to improve your team and your code base
- Demonstrated leadership of high performing technical teams and increasing the overall technical maturity of your engineering organization
What you might bring:
We're looking for a variety of talented technical leadership and know that a mix of skills and experience is useful. Even having a couple of the skills from the list below would be a strong asset.
- Expertise in the core areas of business of FreshBooks (accounting, payments, small business solutions)
- Experience with our core technologies - Python and Ruby on Rails - or a strong track record in multiple other languages
- A clear understanding of bounded contexts and how they map onto microservices
- Strong pair programming or mob programming skills, both as a mechanism for producing better code, and for teaching skills
- A background in DevOps and service ownership
- Mobile development experience with iOS and Android devices
- Experience with containers, search engines, data pipelines and cloud-based technologies, such as: Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, Google Cloud Platform, Redis, ES, RabbitMQ, Kafta, and ETL.
- Experience with both SQL and non-SQL databases, and big data technologies, and understanding of when it makes sense to use each of them, and when it doesn’t
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.