FreshBooks has a big vision. We launched in 2003 but we’re just getting started and there’s a lot left to do. We're a high performing team working towards a common goal: building a world class online accounting application to help small businesses better manage their finances. Known for extraordinary customer service and based in Toronto, Canada, FreshBooks serves paying customers in over 120 countries.
The Opportunity – Visual Designer
We’re looking for a Visual Designer to help us with our marketing & public relations projects -- that means everything from building beautiful and easy-to-understand infographics and research reports, to websites, eBooks, event signage, and beyond.
As a Visual Designer, your mission will be to partner with internal stakeholders from across the company, including Public Relations, Sales & Business Development, Customer Support and Human Resources, to create standout campaigns and initiatives that support team and company-wide objectives at every level. This position will report into the Senior Public Relations Manager on the Corporate Strategy team.
This role is ideal for someone who is hyper organized, detail-oriented, and finds joy in solving complex design problems that align with business goals. Success in this role will require the ability to distill high level (sometimes ambiguous) problems into tangible action items, experience with managing projects, a solid understanding of how great design and copy work together, and the ability to build strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
Specifically, this position includes:
- Collaborating with various stakeholders across the company to understand their objectives and co-creating appropriate briefing and scoping documents
- Helping with planning and prioritizing creative/technical project work requests
- Contributing to the solution ideation & asset delivery at every stage of a project -- ensuring direction continues to address business & stakeholder needs
- Executing on design projects from scope to delivery
- Taking a critical user-centric “design-thinking” approach to creative problem solving
- Building strong relationships with internal team members and company-wide stakeholders
You'll be an amazing fit for this position if:
- You’re all about your clients -- you have an underlying passion to communicate with, learn and serve your internal FreshBooks ‘clients’
- Communication comes naturally -- you’re an expert communicator, able to clearly articulate ideas, project status & results to teams and stakeholders
- You’re obsessed with crafting the perfect information architecture and you understand basic persuasive design principles
- You’re a strategic doer -- you set ambitious goals for yourself and then build rock-solid plans to get there, on-time and on budget
- You’re ambitious and innovative -- you don’t accept the status quo because “it’s what we’ve always done” -- you push for better, newer and more efficient ways to do things
- You seek out and make others aware of best-in-class design standards
- You’re comfortable distilling data into visual formats and have experience creating beautiful and easy-to-understand infographics and/or research reports
- You’re able to accurately estimate the time necessary to execute on a design project
What you’ll need:
- 2-4 years of agency or in-house experience
- A strong portfolio including digital and print work and a healthy curiosity and ambition for everything else
- Proven project management experience
- Experience working with Wordpress
- An understanding of copywriting best practices
- Experience working with and establishing design guidelines
We hope you’ll have:
- A straightforward design approach with a sincere desire to create fun and playful design experiences
- A good grasp of copywriting best practices and/or experience working with copywriters
- Experience with direct marketing principles
- A sense of humor and irreverence
- A passion and curiosity for continuous self-driven learning
- A willingness to take creative risks and make mistakes in the pursuit of innovation
We consider it a huge bonus if you have:
Why Join Us
We're an ambitious bunch, with our eyes laser-focused on shipping extraordinary experiences to small business owners. You'll be surrounded by talented team members who share a common vision for what an amazing software company could be, and have the opportunity to help build a world-class one, right here in downtown Toronto.
Have we got your attention? Submit your application today and a member of our recruitment team will be in touch with you shortly!
FreshBooks provides employment accommodation during the recruitment process. Should you require any accommodation, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any questions, suggestions or required documents regarding accessibility in a different format, please contact us at phone 416-780-2700 and/or email@example.com.