At Freetrade, we believe investing should be accessible to everyone. It’s one of the best ways to grow your savings but, for many, it seems complicated, expensive, and out of reach.
We’re here to change that.
We're a technology company that brings simple investing to everyone. We’ve built a beautiful app to buy and sell shares and ETFs in a fluid, mobile-first experience.
We’re building a team with diverse and unique perspectives in order to help us on our mission to demystify investing, making it more accessible.
Our goal is to help our customers achieve better, long-term financial outcomes.
In 2022, we’re rolling out our app across the EU, transforming our product with new features and functionalities, and introducing new products. In the UK, we now have over 1.2m registered users, a team of over 300, offering a range of products like the Freetrade Pension, a stocks and shares ISA, and our premium account, Freetrade Plus. Our media brand, Freetrade Honey, offers daily insights alongside deep dives into the companies and trends that the new generation of investors care about most.
This has all been possible because of the backing of a passionate group of over 10,000 crowdfunding investors. As we’ve scaled, we’ve also raised money from world-class growth investors including Left Lane Capital, Molten Ventures, and L Catterton to supercharge our growth.
We are looking for a General Counsel to spearhead the new Legal function at Freetrade, as we reach a critical and exciting point following the finalisation of our 7th Crowdfund, having completed our Series B raise last year. This role will report directly to the CEO and will be extremely varied, touching all legal aspects of our activities, as well as the specific obligations and considerations as a regulated financial institution. You will work in close partnership with the Compliance team, as well as other functions and the product verticals. The role will offer huge scope for professional growth, as our company continues to scale and as we launch our services across Europe from our Swedish subsidiary.
- Take on a high-level executive advisory role, while synthesising UK and international financial service regulatory issues with a wider commercial and market perspective
- Build a high performing legal function to enable Freetrade’s expansion and growth internationally
- Own Freetrade’s legal activities - including fundraising, intellectual property, data protection, employment law and litigation
- Proactively identify, mitigate and manage legal risks across Freetrade’s activities
- Manage and deploy use of external counsel, including ownership of the legal budget
- Provide legal advice across the company’s functions and product verticals
- Manage contractual relationships and legal risk with third parties
- Work closely with product verticals, customer operations and compliance to design and evolve our contractual relationship with customers
- Support the compliance team with regulatory matters and help with identifying upcoming changes
- Partner with the Compliance function in Freetrade’s relationship with regulators
- Manage Company Secretary function and efficient use of third parties
- Provide strategic support to the CEO and executive team in all matters relating to governance and legal compliance
- You are a qualified lawyer with at least 10 years post qualification experience at hand, ideally financially related
- You have commercial drafting and negotiation experience
- You have deep experience in at least some of: intellectual property; fundraising activities; data protection; regulatory; and litigation, within a regulated Financial Services environment
- You have prior experience working within an in-house legal team, preferably within a start-up or Fintech environment
- You are fluent in English
You will initially have a phone interview with one of our internal Talent Specialists. You will then meet with Adam, CEO & Co-founder, undertake competency and Values interviews, as well as meeting with Viktor, COO & Co-founder as well as some of our board members.
We offer a competitive salary plus stock options and lots of other benefits.
You’ll have a stake in the company you’re building, with stock options benchmarked to US companies.
We are an Equal Opportunity employer committed to a diverse and representative team. Whatever your race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability - we want to hear from you. We're very open about what we're working on, and the best places to learn more are our buzzing community forum and our blog.
Please note we are not accepting agency CVs.