The role of the Principal iOS Engineer is a technical advisor to the leadership, coach for all fellows on your stack and a role model in acting for the whole organisation. You will guide & support around 25 iOS Engineers, work closely together with the Engineering Managers of the Rider domain, advise them on new implementations, people development and how to scale their systems. The iOS Principal is leading technical projects across their stack and drives for innovation and MVP thinking.
If you love technology, innovation and have solution-oriented thinking, HERE IS YOUR CHANCE!
You can join us in either one of the countries we are operating. This includes: Spain, Germany, Portugal, Italy, France, Poland, UK, Ireland, Austria, Greece and remote working*.
Check out our Tech Stack - https://stackshare.io/companies/free-now#tech-stacks
Check out our Github - https://github.com/freenowtech
Find out more about us - https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Overview/Working-at-FREE-NOW-EI_IE954578.11,19.htm
How do we celebrate you - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwf-eLpYxwc
- Coach and mentor engineers in your discipline towards seniority and technical competencies
- Active participation in code and architecture reviews as well as architectural decision records
- Be a consultant to our Engineering Managers on promotions, hiring and performance reviews
- You are responsible for scalability, reliability and health of the iOS Chapter
- Set the iOS technology strategy for Rider. Raise visibility or long-term issues in your discipline and advise Engineering Managers and Department Leaders on how and when to tackle them
- Establish and live our technical mission as role model and advocate
- Support the identification of the most important tech priorities
- Maintain a current understanding of industry standards and trends
- Hands-on development on proof of concepts and evaluation of new technologies
- Influence your discipline positively on technical decisions, discussions, innovation and mindset
- You will report to the VP Engineering and work very closely together with other (Android+Backend) Principals and other senior leaders of the Rider Domain
- Collaborate with your peers from different domains and disciplines to ensure timely delivery of tech topics
To be successful in this role you need:
- You have worked as a Senior iOS Engineer or higher function for at least five years
- Experience in mentoring and developing engineers
- You can collaborate with a strong engineering team and enable the engineers to promote, propose and implement their solutions
- You are a technical servant leader by heart and love to support your colleagues by working hands-on with them together
- Experience in improving the environment in which you are working, for technology, methodology, and team collaboration
- Passion for challenging problems and the ability to work with different teams identifying architectural boundaries and platform interfaces
- You have strong and well reasoned opinions about technologies, patterns and architecture
- High level of creativity, there’s all the freedom to think outside the box
- Strong interpersonal skills with excellent communication in English
And it would be awesome if you have:
- Worked as Principal Engineer or Software Architect in larger environments
- Experience with Modularisation, solutions and patterns that scale across application size, complexity and number of contributors that work on the project
** legal entities: France, Spain, Germany, Austria, Portugal, Italy, England, Ireland, Poland & Greece
Diversity and inclusion:
At FREE NOW, we commit to being an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability or age. We celebrate diversity and have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work. Together with passionate, creative and collaborative colleagues, we are following our purpose of making mobility available for everyone.
Move like you
At FREE NOW we have colleagues from over 70 nations! We value open communication and welcome everyone as they are. We are all one team and follow the same goals – that’s why we share our insights and results to get on track together every month.
Your wellness and work-life balance matters to us. We offer trust-based and flexible working hours as well as the option to work from home. In the office, you can enjoy our free drinks and daily fresh fruit. Do you like to be active? Take part in our subsidised gym membership. Bigger plans? Take a sabbatical leave and get out there!
Let’s grow together! We believe in a transparent career growth plan, quarterly development sessions with your team lead as well as regular 1:1s to help you thrive! For your own ideas, you’re welcome to set up initiatives and projects.
Need a lift? We offer Udemy e-learning platform, subsidised language classes, internal peer-to-peer trainings and more to support your learning & development opportunities.
More Benefits? 👏 Monthly mobility budget for FREE NOW rides, quarterly team events, company-wide onboarding days at our HQ in Hamburg, relocation assistance for internationals, birthday-off, kudos and many more!
About FREE NOW:
FREE NOW is the Mobility Super App with the largest choice for consumers across Europe. More than 56 million users in 16 markets and in over 170 cities today are already moving freely from A to B by accessing the largest selection of mobility options available in one app. Through the unique integration of mobility brands and payment services, they can book their nearest taxi, private hire vehicle, car sharing, or micro-mobility option such as eScooters, eMopeds, and eBikes within the app. FREE NOW aggregates numerous mobility brands with the ambition to make urban mobility more efficient and sustainable without adding new vehicles on the street. The German based company is backed by the BMW Group and Mercedes-Benz Mobility. In total, around 1,850 employees in more than 27 offices work for the services of FREE NOW, which is led by CEO Thomas Zimmermann.