As of now, we are looking for an ambitious Backend or Fullstack Engineer (m/f/d) for our international team based in Hamburg. You can join us either in one of our offices in Hamburg, Berlin or Barcelona or 100% remotely in one of the 11 countries where we have a legal entity**
Why should you join? Simply because here at FREE NOW we are radically changing the way we travel in the future. As we love our planet, we believe in shared mobility and the freedom to move regardless of your income or your age. By reducing the need for your own car, supporting the next-gen of electric vehicles and more modes of transportation we believe we can play a major role to improve the way we move in cities and make them a better, more sustainable place.
We also care about each other, joining us will mean for you to quickly be part of a team that strongly supports each other and you will get the chance to design and implement solutions that are being used by millions every single day.
Your responsibility is to work on highly complex microservices and frontend architectures.
As part of a cross-functional team, you work with a lot of freedom in a fast-changing environment.
Your team’s goal is to develop applications and services that put mobility and its management at the fingertips of our business customers.
It's about the experience specifically for our most important customers, the ones with whom we have the most direct relationship, and offering them a custom experience in the app that runs through the entire user flow.
What you can expect:
- Be part of a great team with cool and smart people
- Make sure our products provide an excellent experience, with high quality and maintainability
- Work in a cross-functional team that collaborates with many other teams in the company, also across different locations
- Use and promote best practices in your team and chapter
- Work on systems that are used regularly by professionals with strong mobility needs
- Planning and Implementation of new features
- Implementing backend microservices in Kotlin + Spring Boot
- Working on end to end solutions for our business product
- Improving performance and stability of the systems
- Working close together with the product, design and development teams
- Engage in knowledge-sharing between team and chapter peers
- For Fullstack roles: Creation of Frontend features with React
- Enable businesses to administer and configure of new features for their staff
You should bring:
- Significant experience in working with backend microservices in Kotlin or Java, ideally using Spring Boot with Hibernate
- Keen about principles and practices of scalable web applications, such as RESTful API’s, dealing with transactions and resiliency
- Experience working with relational databases
- Experience in designing software architecture
- Be communicative, innovative and always collaborative and enjoy working in an agile group
- Fluent proficiency in English
- For Fullstack roles:
- Experience working on Single Page Applications with React or similar
The interview process should be completed in less than 4 weeks:
1st - Interview with one of our Talent Acquisition partners - this will be a get to meet you interview, sharing more details about you and discussing the role and FREE NOW in general
2nd - Live Coding Session. Two of our Senior Engineers will do a live coding session with you. You will receive a file beforehand so you can make sure the project will work on your computer. On the day of the live coding session you will then start with the task and we ask questions and try to get into a conversation and challenge things to find out more about your technical understanding.We are a non-egocentric organisation; we expect to be challenged all the time
Take Home Test + an additional Tech Talk if the test fulfils our requirements (expect process length to be extended)
3rd – Hiring Manager. Meet with the HM to discuss your career, what is important to you, and what FREE NOW can do to make you successful.
4th – Meet the Team. Get to know your team and what makes these people tick.
** legal entities: France, Spain, Germany, Austria, Portugal, Italy, England, Ireland, Poland, Romania & Greece
Diversity and inclusion:
At FREE NOW, we commit to being an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability or age. We celebrate diversity and have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work. Together with passionate, creative and collaborative colleagues, we are following our purpose of making mobility available for everyone.
Move like you
At FREE NOW we have colleagues from over 70 nations! We value open communication and welcome everyone as they are. We are all one team and follow the same goals – that’s why we share our insights and results to get on track together every month.
Your wellness and work-life balance matters to us. We offer trust-based and flexible working hours as well as the option to work from home. In the office, you can enjoy our free drinks and daily fresh fruit. Do you like to be active? Take part in our subsidised gym membership. Bigger plans? Take a sabbatical leave and get out there!
Let’s grow together! We believe in a transparent career growth plan, quarterly development sessions with your team lead as well as regular 1:1s to help you thrive! For your own ideas, you’re welcome to set up initiatives and projects.
Need a lift? We offer Udemy e-learning platform, subsidised language classes, internal peer-to-peer trainings and more to support your learning & development opportunities.
More Benefits? 👏 Monthly mobility budget for FREE NOW rides, quarterly team events, company-wide onboarding days at our HQ in Hamburg, relocation assistance for internationals, birthday-off, kudos and many more!
About FREE NOW:
FREE NOW is the Mobility Super App with the largest choice for consumers across Europe. More than 56 million users in 16 markets and in over 170 cities today are already moving freely from A to B by accessing the largest selection of mobility options available in one app. Through the unique integration of mobility brands and payment services, they can book their nearest taxi, private hire vehicle, car sharing, or micro-mobility option such as eScooters, eMopeds, and eBikes within the app. FREE NOW aggregates numerous mobility brands with the ambition to make urban mobility more efficient and sustainable without adding new vehicles on the street. The German based company is backed by the BMW Group and Mercedes-Benz Mobility. In total, around 1,850 employees in more than 27 offices work for the services of FREE NOW, which is led by CEO Thomas Zimmermann.