Remote - Spain Based
We are looking for a talented and motivated Senior Android Engineer for our Driver Engagement Squad.
The team mission is to "enable being a driver a rewarding profession, minimising their effort and maximising their earnings". To do so, some challenges you will face will be to create unique products that will provide a delightful, sustainable, and customized urban mobility experience. We have tens of thousands of drivers from 11 countries using our platform 24/7.
Work in an agile environment
- As part of a highly-skilled cross-functional team that comprises 2 Android Engineers, 2 iOS Engineers, 2 Backend Engineers, Product Manager, Researcher, Designer and headed up by a technical Engineering Manager, you will help shape the future of how FREE NOW assists our drivers in their daily work.
- You will participate in the design, development, and maintenance of high-quality software. It’s required to have an open mindset, analytical mind and solid knowledge of object-oriented concepts for you to understand business analysis and software architectures documents.
Design, build and deliver software which is business-critical and speed-sensitive for multiple markets in different languages
- The Android Developer is an essential contributor to the software development life cycle and is expected to use expert knowledge to bring fresh new ideas on how to solve business-critical problems
- Due to the current state of the application, you are required to have proficiency with development in Java and Kotlin using best in class Source Control Management systems and Continuous Integration pipelines
- You need to have the capability to develop and structure the code using dependency injection and reactive architectural pattern using Coroutines, and MVP + Clean Architecture for the UI perspective
- You will be expected to maintain the quality and architectural integrity of the software by designing features and frameworks with modularity in mind
- The application is delivered using Play store as the main distribution source, and it is part of the responsibility of the developer to take care of the build and distribution.
Writing highly scalable, testable and readable code
- Ensure the quality of our apps with a big emphasis on test automation integrated into our CD/CI toolset, which means:
- Developing unit tests for all of our features and contributing to our almost 5,000 current tests
- Writing integration tests to ensure the code of our App interacts with other modules properly
- Developing user interaction tests, mainly done using espresso as a library
- You code, you ship, you own - which will include bug fixing and taking care of crash analysis through firebase and the distribution platform
Identify and execute refactoring improvements alongside feature increment
- Code improvement is part of our development culture, you will have the responsibility of refactoring and continuously improving our codebase (e.g. test coverage from areas of the app that previously were not done, using Kotlin instead of Java in the few parts we are still using it, and a proper clean architecture structure and agreed guidelines)
- Part of the responsibility is improving, maintaining and supporting existing applications and shared libraries
Improvement and innovation
- We expect you to drive improvements and innovations in everything we do (people, process and technology)
- We expect you to be business outcome-focused
- We expect you to work using functional programming and doing pair programming
- Experience with asynchronous paradigm as Kotlin coroutines
- Champion a test-driven development mindset
- Our company language is English, so we expect fluent proficiency in English
Diversity and inclusion:
At FREE NOW, we commit to being an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability or age. We celebrate diversity and have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work. Together with passionate, creative and collaborative colleagues, we are following our purpose of making mobility available for everyone.
Move like you
At FREE NOW we have colleagues from over 70 nations! We value open communication and welcome everyone as they are. We are all one team and follow the same goals – that’s why we share our insights and results to get on track together every month.
Your wellness and work-life balance matters to us. We offer trust-based and flexible working hours as well as the option to work from home. In the office, you can enjoy our free drinks and daily fresh fruit. Do you like to be active? Take part in our subsidised gym membership. Bigger plans? Take a sabbatical leave and get out there!
Let’s grow together! We believe in a transparent career growth plan, quarterly development sessions with your team lead as well as regular 1:1s to help you thrive! For your own ideas, you’re welcome to set up initiatives and projects.
Need a lift? We offer Udemy e-learning platform, subsidised language classes, internal peer-to-peer trainings and more to support your learning & development opportunities.
More Benefits? 👏 Monthly mobility budget for FREE NOW rides, quarterly team events, company-wide onboarding days at our HQ in Hamburg, relocation assistance for internationals, birthday-off, kudos and many more!
About FREE NOW:
FREE NOW is the Mobility Super App with the largest vehicle choice for consumers across Europe. More than 54 million users in 16 markets and in over 170 cities today are already moving freely from A to B by accessing the largest selection of mobility options available in one app. Through the unique integration of mobility brands and payment services, they can book their nearest taxi, private hire vehicle, car sharing or micro-mobility option such as eScooters, eMopeds, and eBikes within the app. FREE NOW aggregates numerous mobility brands with the ambition to make urban mobility more efficient and sustainable without adding new vehicles on the street. The German based company is backed by the BMW Group and Mercedes-Benz Mobility. In total, around 1,850 employees in more than 27 offices work for the services of FREE NOW, which is led by CEO Marc Berg.