Our Rider Team is currently looking for an experienced Backend Engineer (m/f/d) for our international team based in Hamburg. You can join us either in one of our offices in Hamburg, Berlin or Barcelona or 100% remote within the EU.
Why should you join? Simply because here at FREE NOW we are radically changing the way we travel in the future. As we love our planet, we believe in shared mobility and the freedom to move regardless of your income or your age. By reducing the need for your own car, maximising the usage with shared rides and supporting the next-gen of electric vehicles, we believe we can play a major role to improve the way we move in cities and make them a better, more sustainable place.
We also care about each other, joining us will mean for you to quickly be part of a team that strongly supports each other and you will get the chance to design and implement solutions that are being used by millions every single day.
What you can expect:
- Be part of a great team with cool and smart people
- Work in a team that collaborates with many other teams in the company, also across different locations
- Use the best practices to improve services performance
- Work on interesting features responsible for whole booking life cycle
- Own the Feature, Own the Code – feel responsible for what you create. This starts with bringing in your own feature ideas, includes coding, testing and ends in deploying your code and monitoring the feature
- Collaborate with your team members in an agile environment, contribute to and live our agile ceremonies
- Be accountable for all topics above, but always stay a team player
- Stay on top of the latest technology trends, apply the best practices to our daily work
- Implement clean and scaled microservices
- Maintainability of existing features and be able to debug potential issues
- Bring in a strong team spirit and be humble to make decisions as a team
- Solve real problems that impact real users
What you should bring:
- Be passionate about Java and/or Kotlin, writing good and clean code and relevant experience as software engineer
- Familiar with Spring(Boot) or similar frameworks
- Experienced (or eager to learn) about distributed systems
- Keen about principles and practices of scalable web applications, such as RESTful API’s, dealing with transactions and resiliency
- Experience with caching strategies using Redis
- Familiar with messaging by using RabbitMQ / Kafka or others
- Experience with testing in the whole software life cycle (unit / integration / system)
- Good experience with relational database
- Familiar with agile methodologies such as Scrum or Kanban
- Be communicative, proactive and always collaborative and enjoy working in a group
- Fluent proficiency in English
Diversity and inclusion:
At FREE NOW, we commit to being an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability or age. We celebrate diversity and have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work. Together with passionate, creative and collaborative colleagues, we are following our purpose of making mobility available for everyone.
Move like you
At FREE NOW we have colleagues from over 70 nations! We value open communication and welcome everyone as they are. We are all one team and follow the same goals – that’s why we share our insights and results to get on track together every month.
Your wellness and work-life balance matters to us. We offer trust-based and flexible working hours as well as the option to work from home. In the office, you can enjoy our free drinks and daily fresh fruit. Do you like to be active? Take part in our subsidised gym membership. Bigger plans? Take a sabbatical leave and get out there!
Let’s grow together! We believe in a transparent career growth plan, quarterly development sessions with your team lead as well as regular 1:1s to help you thrive! For your own ideas, you’re welcome to set up initiatives and projects.
Need a lift? Check out our language classes and internal peer-to-peer trainings.
More Benefits? 👏 Monthly budget for FREE NOW rides, quarterly team events, company-wide onboarding days at our HQ in Hamburg, relocation assistance for internationals, birthday-off, kudos and many more!
About FREE NOW
FREE NOW is Europe’s leading multi-mobility platform backed by BMW Group and Daimler AG. Next to ride hailing, FREE NOW also offers micro-mobility services such as e-scooters, e-bikes, e-vespas as well as car sharing. It consists of the services FREE NOW (10 European markets) and Βeat (5 Latin American and 1 European market). Summed up, those services currently attract 50 million users in 16 markets and more than 150 cities. FREE NOW is therefore the biggest multi-service mobility provider in Europe and the fastest-growing ride-hailer in Latin America. FREE NOW works with various third party providers to offer their customers an even wider range of options to get from A to B. In total, around 1,900 employees in around 35 offices work for the services of FREE NOW, which is led by CEO Marc Berg.