As of now, we are looking for a Senior Android Engineer for our Barcelona tech hub (able to work remotely anywhere within Spain), where we build supply products. This encompasses everything from the drivers’ registration, the Android/iOS application for them and all the customer support and market tools to help our drivers to have the best experience using FREE NOW.
Work in an agile environment
- As an Android Developer, you will be part of an agile and interdisciplinary team, working closely together with our product and business operations departments, and make a contribution to the development of our products
- You will participate in the design, development, and maintenance of high-quality software. It’s required to have an open mindset, analytical mind and solid knowledge of object-oriented concepts for you to understand business analysis and software architectures documents
Design, build and deliver software which is business-critical and speed-sensitive for multiple markets in different languages
- The Android Developer is an essential contributor to the software development life cycle and is expected to use expert knowledge to bring fresh new ideas on how to solve business-critical problems
- Due to the current state of the application, you are required to have proficiency with development in Java and Kotlin using best in class Source Control Management systems and Continuous Integration pipelines
- You need to have the capability to develop and structure the code using dependency injection and reactive architectural pattern using RxJava and Coroutines, and MVP pattern for the UI perspective
- You will be expected to maintain the quality and architectural integrity of the software by designing features and frameworks with modularity in mind
- The application is delivered using Playstore as the main distribution source and is part of the responsibility of the developer to take care of the build and distribution.
Writing highly scalable, testable and readable code
- Ensure the quality of our apps with a big emphasis on test automation integrated into our CD/CI toolset, which means:
- developing unit tests for all of our features
- writing integration tests to ensures the code of our App interacts with other modules properly
- developing user interaction tests, mainly done using espresso as a library
- You code, you ship, you own - which will include bug fixing and taking care of crash analysis through firebase and the distribution platform
Identify and execute refactoring improvements alongside feature increment
- Code improvement is part of our development culture, you will have the responsibility of refactoring and continuously improving our codebase (e.g. test coverage from areas of the app that previously was not done, using Kotlin instead of Java, and a proper clean architecture structure and agreed guidelines)
- Part of the responsibility is improving, maintaining and supporting existing applications and shared libraries
Improvement and innovation
- We expect you to drive improvements and innovations in everything we do (people, process and technology)
- We expect you to be business outcome-focused
- We expect you to work using functional programming and doing pair programming
- Experience with asynchronous paradigm as Kotlin coroutines
- Champion a test-driven development mindset
- Our company language is English so we expect fluent proficiency in English
Diversity and inclusion:
At FREE NOW, we commit to being an equal opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants regardless of race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability or age. We celebrate diversity and have a clear vision: to be the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay and do their best work. Together with passionate, creative and collaborative colleagues, we are following our purpose of making mobility available for everyone.
Move like you
At FREE NOW we have colleagues from over 70 nations! We value open communication and welcome everyone as they are. We are all one team and follow the same goals – that’s why we share our insights and results to get on track together every month.
Your wellness and work-life balance matters to us. We offer trust-based and flexible working hours as well as the option to work from home. In the office, you can enjoy our free drinks and daily fresh fruit. Do you like to be active? Take part in our subsidized gym membership. Bigger plans? Take a sabbatical leave and get out there!
Let’s grow together! We believe in a transparent career growth plan, quarterly development sessions with your team lead as well as regular 1:1s to help you thrive! For your own ideas, you’re welcome to set up initiatives and projects.
Need a lift? Check out our language classes and internal peer-to-peer trainings.
More Benefits? 👏 Monthly budget for FREE NOW rides, quarterly team events, company-wide onboarding days at our HQ in Hamburg, relocation assistance for internationals, birthday-off, kudos and many more!
About FREE NOW:
FREE NOW is Europe’s leading multi-mobility platform backed by BMW Group and Daimler AG. Next to ride hailing, FREE NOW also offers micro-mobility services such as e-scooters, e-bikes, e-vespas as well as car sharing. It consists of the services FREE NOW (10 European markets) and Βeat (5 Latin American and 1 European market). Summed up, those services currently attract 50 million users in 16 markets and more than 150 cities. FREE NOW is therefore the biggest multi-service mobility provider in Europe and the fastest-growing ride-hailer in Latin America. FREE NOW works with various third party providers to offer their customers an even wider range of options to get from A to B. In total, around 1,900 employees in around 35 offices work for the services of FREE NOW, which is led by CEO Marc Berg.