Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease.
To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
About the Role
At Freenome, our goal is to improve patient outcomes by pioneering the next-generation of blood tests for early and accurate disease detection using our combined multiomics and machine learning platform. As a Senior Research Scientist / Manager in Proteomics, you are a strong individual contributor with an outstanding record of scientific achievement, who has recently moved into a formal scientific leadership role. You will apply both your scientific expertise and leadership skills to mentor and grow teams that will both develop protein display technologies for biomarker discovery applications. In this role, you will be responsible for evaluating emergent technologies that have the potential to discover novel biomarkers, collect and analyze proteomics data for biomarker discovery, and augment existing multiomic models with novel signals you discover. Finally, you will work closely with computational biologists and machine learning scientists to generate new biological and technical insights, and to help translate the results of your work into Freenome’s portfolio of diagnostic products.
- Manage and serve as a technical lead for a growing team that will innovate and develop protein display technologies for biomarker discovery.
- Lead projects spanning molecular and computational functions to better understand the underlying biology of non-invasive cancer biomarkers.
- Stay at the cutting edge of relevant methods to identify and evaluate new technologies to improve our multiomics capabilities.
- Drive biomarker discovery studies that leverage both in-house generated datasets and published reference databases.
- Collaborate with computational biologists and software engineers to build analysis pipelines that appropriately integrate new molecular technologies.
- Manage 1-3 junior scientists or research associates, helping them grow and contribute to our mission.
Your background, perspective and experience:
- PhD (or equivalent industry experience) in molecular biology, biochemistry, chemistry, cancer biology, or a related field.
- 4+ years post-PhD experience, including managing scientific teams.
- Strong molecular biology skills in PCR, cloning, library prep, and NGS.
- Demonstrated hands-on expertise in developing and optimizing protein display systems (such as yeast, bacterial, or phage), with experience in library design, selection, and enrichment.
- Proficiency in protein expression systems (e.g., e.coli, baculovirus, yeast), purification methods, and analytical characterization.
- Experience managing projects with contract research organizations.
- Ability to perform data analysis to enable experimental iteration, independent of external support.
- Clear communications skills and ability to work with team members in the same and adjacent disciplines.
- Familiarity in a common scientific programming language (e.g., Python, R).
- Valuable supplementary skills include:
- Experience with antibody engineering and characterization.
- Familiarity working with high-throughput and automated methods
- Strong biochemistry skills, including western blotting, ELISA, and biophysical characterization (e.g., SPR, Octet, ITC, FRET).
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.