Senior Statistical Scientist
Can you see details in data that others don’t? Translate your thoughts easily into analyses and code? Would you like to join a close-knit team of scientists pushing the limits of machine learning methods and changing the paradigm of healthcare from disease treatment to prevention? If that describes you, we want you on our team!
The Senior Statistical Scientist will be responsible for designing and implementing analyses of large sets of healthcare data to answer questions about individual disease progression and the impact of healthcare interventions. A significant focus will be healthcare equity and the role of social determinants of health. The successful candidate will need to tease apart multiple layers of reporting and selection bias, among other confounders, absorb the relevant biology and clinical background, and develop innovative approaches to integrating different views of disease state. This position requires a grasp of a wide variety of techniques ranging from data mining, study design, and other statistical methods related to machine learning. This work is an important component of an integrated early cancer detection strategy that includes Freenome’s blood-based multi-omics molecular assays and will be applied practically to improve clinical care.
In this role, you will work closely with a small and highly collaborative team of machine learning experts, computational biologists, and data scientists, as well as a broader team of biologists and clinical experts seeking to change the nature of cancer by catching it early — when curative intervention is most achievable.
How You’ll Contribute
- Lead (initially on your own) the development of an internal understanding of disease progression, healthcare impact, and social determinants of health.
- Demonstrate strong command of relevant biostatistical, analytic and/or ML methods and the ability to choose the best approach for different situations.
- Pursue research on methods and applications while also prioritizing the transition of insights to production use.
- Partner closely with risk modeling scientists, biostatisticians, clinical, and business specialists
- Present novel scientific results at conferences and in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Provide scientific and technical guidance to team members and collaborators, while also empowering and inspiring them to do their best work.
- Take a mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work.
What You’ll Bring
- Ph.D. and at least four years of academic or industry experience with biological diagnostics or population healthcare data
- A record of designing and validating creative solutions to complex quantitative problems as demonstrated by research publications or industry achievements.
- Experience working with large, noisy, confounded datasets and to effectively prioritize multiple competing development projects.
- Proficiency in the implementation of statistical/ML models in a general-purpose programming language.
- Excellent ability to communicate to technical peers and across disciplines, and to work collaboratively on interdisciplinary teams.
- A transparent, self-reflective approach that is comfortable with ambiguity, seeks to improve on or correct flaws in their own work, and is open to others’ suggestions
- A passion for innovation, demonstrated initiative in tackling new areas of research, and an ability to carry great ideas forward to practical and impactful implementation
- Facility reading and interpreting scientific and medical literature
- Experience with statistical study design
- Familiarity working in a Linux environment and with cloud computing infrastructure is preferred
- Experience in scientific parallel computing and/or in distributed computing environments like Kubernetes is preferred.
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.