Freenome is a high-growth biotech company on a mission since 2014 to create tools that empower everyone to prevent, detect, and treat their disease. To achieve this mission, Freenome is developing next-generation blood tests to detect cancer in its earliest, most treatable stages using our multiomics platform and machine learning techniques. Our first blood test will detect early-stage colorectal cancer and advanced adenomas.
About the Role
The Senior Director, Finance will be a collaborative business partner and a key member of Freenome’s Laboratory Operations and Finance leadership teams. Reporting to the CFO, this person will partner with the Vice President of Laboratory Operations to engage and influence the Laboratory Operations strategy and performance delivery, including new business models and performance optimization initiatives.
The Senior Director of Finance Lab Operations will develop standards across Lab Operations to support alignment with strategic and organizational goals and you will be responsible for driving operational excellence across our Laboratory Operations group.
This position is a hybrid role. We are open to hiring someone who is prepared to travel regularly to our headquarters in South San Francisco, as needed.
- Key business partner in developing long term strategic plan and annual plan, as well as maintaining an accurate outlook for the organization regarding monthly and quarterly projections for Lab Operations
- Develop analytical framework for variable and fixed cost productivity and work closely with the VP of Laboratory Operations to identify cost improvement opportunities and drive the execution and deployment of cost saving initiatives
- Establish accurate standard costs and inventory valuation for Lab Operations and create KPIs to improve the inventory management and drive productivity
- Deliver monthly production cost, volume, inventory analysis and operational insights on, cost, and productivity to assess variations or trends and partner with Lab Operations leadership to review, evaluate and develop action plans to address material performance deviations
- Collaborate closely with Corporate FP&A to ensure operations planning and forecasting activities align to the overall corporate timing and assumptions
- Lead and formulate the capital expenditure planning to support Lab Operations strategic and operational CAPEX investment requirements
- Lead Lab Operations financial reviews with senior leadership and deliver quantitative and qualitative insights, identify improvement opportunities, and advise action plans based on financial insight
- Support the finance cadence of the business for quarterly business reviews, monthly reporting, forecasts, and the planning cycle in alignment with Corporate FP&A timelines by communicating required deliverables clearly and facilitating reviews with senior leaders in a timely manner
Your background, perspective and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting (CPA) or similar related experience
- Five + years’ experience leading a Finance function supporting Laboratory Operations or Manufacturing Operations.
- Expertise in Finance & Accounting in manufacturing/operations, with solid experience in cost accounting and margin analysis
- Outstanding financial modeling skills
- Knowledge of ERP (NetSuite), FP&A planning systems, Business Intelligence, and/or data query languages
As a condition of employment, you agree to know and comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all employees who work on-site and/or attend work-related events to be fully vaccinated and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible. Company employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and to receive a COVID-19 booster once eligible, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. Absent a reasonable accommodation or legal exception, you agree to provide proof of your vaccination status and to be fully vaccinated by your first day on-site, in accordance with our policy. If you are currently eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you also agree to provide proof of having received a booster. If you are not yet eligible for a COVID-19 booster, you must provide proof of receiving a booster within two weeks of becoming eligible.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
We have raised more than $1.1B from leading investors including Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital Management, Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente, Novartis and the American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures.
A ‘Freenomer’ is a mission-driven employee who is fueled by the opportunity to make a positive impact on patients' lives, who thrives in a culture of respect and cross collaboration, and whose work makes a significant impact on the company and their career.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Competitive compensation
- Pre-IPO equity
- Flexible PTO (exempt) and generous PTO (non-exempt)
- Comprehensive health coverage, including medical, dental, and vision
- Wellness and mental health resources, including Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs), Paid maternity and paternity leave
- 401(k) plan
- $250.00 new hire stipend to enhance your home office experience
- Plus, a variety of other perks, including pre-tax commuter benefits, two paid volunteer days per year, pet insurance, and additional discounts
# # #
Applicants have rights under Federal Employment Laws.
Notice to agencies:
Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Freenome. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Freenome’s Talent Acquisition team before submitting candidates to any Freenome employee.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes or biographies from agencies under any circumstances. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Freenome, including those sent to a Freenome email address or directly to Freenome employees, will be considered Freenome property. Freenome will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume. Freenome will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Please do not contact Freenome employees directly. Compliance with this request will impact our decision to work with you.