Electrical Engineer (Test)
Freeform is a stealth mode metal 3D printing startup founded on the belief that transforming the way things are made is essential to making the world a better place. Our advanced technology stack lies at the intersection of hardware, software, and data science, creating the foundation for the world’s first fully autonomous and scalable manufacturing system. Our core team hails from several of the world’s most innovative companies, and we have secured significant funding from several of Silicon Valley’s top venture capital firms.
As an Electrical Test Engineer at Freeform, you will contribute significantly to the effort of both R&D testing as well as manufacturing testing of Freeform’s electro-mechanical products. Your ownership will include test fixture design and scripting, test data management, hardware-in-the-loop (HITL), calibration systems, hardware emulators, readability testing, and much more. You will use a first principles approach to solving problems and tackling new areas within electrical engineering that you may not have directly worked on before. The ideal candidate is capable of running projects from cradle to grave and has the ability work effectively with other engineering disciplines.
3D printing experience is not required to be successful here - rather we look for smart, motivated, collaborative engineers who love solving hard problems and creating amazing technology!
- Own and develop electrical hardware end-of-line test program to improve overall hardware quality and reliability.
- Design automated test fixtures for PCBs and electro-mechanical assemblies.
- Develop infrastructure for test data management, status tracking and failure analysis reporting.
- Develop reliability testing program for all production-bound hardware.
- Design and own hardware-in-the-loop (HITL) testing system for software development. Design and build any necessary hardware emulators in the process.
- Own, design and maintain all calibration hardware required.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering or similar engineering discipline.
- 2+ years of professional post-graduate experience with end-to-end ownership of test automation equipment or fixtures in a manufacturing or R&D environment.
- Experience with reliability engineering.
- Fluency in Python or Matlab.
- Well versed in electrical engineering fundamentals and comfortable taking a first principles approach to solving problems.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of professional experience in electrical engineering.
- Familiarity with industrial automation technologies and robotics.
- Experience with sensors, embedded microcontroller design and firmware, and FPGA hardware and software development.
- Proficiency in the web stack, networking, and Linux.
- Experience with high-speed data acquisition systems, high-accuracy motion systems, high-speed scanning systems, optomechanical assemblies, and complex electromechanical systemsn
- Passion for additive manufacturing and curiosity in electronics for high-reliability applications.
- We are located in Hawthorne in a 35,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility featuring large open spaces for team collaboration, R&D, and production, as well as easy access to the 405, 105, and 110 freeways. Our facility is in the heart of LA’s vibrant emerging tech ecosystem alongside many other high growth start-ups and enterprises.
- We have an inclusive and diverse culture that values collaboration, learning, and making deliberate data-driven decisions.
- We offer a competitive compensation package that includes significant equity in the company, as well as a full suite of additional benefits including premium health care (medical, dental, and vision) and life insurance, generous Paid Parental Leave and extended transition back to work for birthing parent, 401K, and PTO.
- Our work environment includes casual dress, flexible work hours, a fully stocked kitchenette, free parking, daily paid for lunches, and regular catered team building events.
- Freeform is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity; employment with Freeform is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.